Menu
Penguin97
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Aerial cable from outside the house / Cut

Hi All

Just got my virgin combo installed. we had an aerial wire coming from the outside wall into our living room. The engineer and I agreed to use the drilled hole for the virgin cable, but I didn't realise (till next day) that he cut the aerial wire outside, so only the virgin cable came through the drilled hole. I may want Freeview when I dont have Virgin so not pleased with this unnecessary restriction. Its also not as simple to reconnect the aerial cable as i have to buy that extra cable, re-attach to wall, reinsert in the outside wall to connect to TV. I tried to complain to Virgin using their complaint issue but the form keeps coming back empty :).. Any previous experiences

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Aerial cable from outside the house / Cut

but you "I agreed to use the drilled hole for the virgin cable" so not sure what you can do.

You miss understood what was being agreed to so its not really the installer's fault. he did ask to use te hole and you agreed
0 Kudos
Penguin97
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sure, but I didn't think he would dismantle the existing setup obviously or he could have told me about it.   

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Penguin97,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry for the confusion when your install was done, I appreciate this is not ideal in order to use the current hole in the wall as agreed by yourself the technician would of also removed the cable for safety reasons as this would have just been hanging outside.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Penguin97 wrote:

Hi All

Just got my virgin combo installed. we had an aerial wire coming from the outside wall into our living room. The engineer and I agreed to use the drilled hole for the virgin cable, but I didn't realise (till next day) that he cut the aerial wire outside, so only the virgin cable came through the drilled hole. I may want Freeview when I dont have Virgin so not pleased with this unnecessary restriction. Its also not as simple to reconnect the aerial cable as i have to buy that extra cable, re-attach to wall, reinsert in the outside wall to connect to TV. I tried to complain to Virgin using their complaint issue but the form keeps coming back empty :).. Any previous experiences

Unfortunately you don’t have a leg to stand on as far as complaining about this. There are plenty of complaints on this forum about techs that DON’T ask before they do this, so the one that did yours followed the correct procedure & should not be blamed. 

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I think a large part of the fault is attributable to the VM tech as he did not make it clear that the homeowner would have the existing cable cut in order to do the installation. Furthermore I think that he didn't ask the question because he knew that the homeowner would not want the cable cut, so forcing him to do extra work to drill another hole. In short, another lazy tech.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The OP does not want another hole drilled, so there is no route through the wall for the old cable without drilling another hole. The tech assumed therefore that the feed from the aerial was no longer required, and as mentioned by Paul_DN above, it could cause a hazard if left loose. I can also see some customers complaining if the wire was left loose.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos