Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Additional TiVo box

We are building an extension, where we want an additional VM TV point.  The VM cabling to the WiFi and tv come in to the old part of the house.  I do not want to run any cables through the old part of the house (don’t want cabling clipped to skirting boards, etc or lift floor boards).  We can route the cables around the outside of the house, but would want the cables buried.  If we book a new installation will the VM technician install the cables in a trench around the house, which I could do beforehand?  Do they have any special requirements for running buried cables?  Do I need to let them know my preferred installation method beforehand?
thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Additional TiVo box

VM Techs get a 2 hour slot to do these jobs, so make sure everything is prepared for them.

VM will only install extra points at the time you take the new service (the day the new box is installed).

You have to bear in mind that the V6 boxes require a connection to your hub as well as the coax. Do not rely on WiFi for this over long distances, as slow WiFi speeds or congestion on WiFi channels are a major cause of issues with these boxes. Best solution would be a direct connection or Powerline extenders.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Great Thanks

So if I run the cables in beforehand and leave them cooled at each end, in the 2 hour slot they do the final connections.

Next question, what spec does the co-ax and the hub cable need to be to be run outside in trench?  Is the cable readily available from an electrical, wholesaler?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No you cannot use non-VM co-ax cable - they will refuse to connect it. Nor will they pre-supply it.

Unlikely they will have long runs of exterior grade ethernet cabling either - they will say use wifi - so lay them in yourself ahead of time - use Ca6e/7 cable

So either leave the trench open for them to put the cable in or use conduit tubing with "pull strings" laid in there. Dont have any sharp turns etc that could impede cable pulling

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

What will be the length of the cable run? I'm not sure if the tech will have in his van the exterior grade coaxial cable you should ideally have, if not perhaps a forum team member can get him to bring this cable with him. Also, get a length of conduit. And as advised, the V6 needs to be connected to the hub so get a length of exterior Ethernet cable and conduit as well. Make sure the trench you dig is at least eight inches deep to help protect against freeze/thaw cycles and accidental damage. Install the Ethernet cable first plus the conduit for the coaxial cable with a pull rope inside.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks you for your advice.

The cable run is around 25 metres.  Cable has to run around a few corners, so will leave the trench open so they can direct bury - assuming that will be ok.

What do you mean by a forum member, is there a way of letting the VM tech know what to bring through the forum?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi MattBump,

Thanks for your post on the forums, I hope you're liking your new and shiny extension! 

I am a Virgin Media agent here on the forums and I'll be happy to try and get this sorted for you. What I would like to do first though before we do anything is send out an engineer to survey the property first so that we know what can and cannot be done. I'm going to get in touch with the engineer team in order to get someone out to you, I'm also just gonna send you a PM on here so I can chat to you about dates/times for this. Just look for the purple envelope and we'll continue our chat on there 🙂

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I cannot see why you'd want to direct bury a cable even if it's designed for exterior use.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mattbump,

Thanks for replying to me in our PM, I have communicated what you said with the area field manager in order to get a surveyor out to you. I will let you know when they confirm they have booked this and when the engineer will be visiting. 

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

How did you get on with this install?

0 Kudos