Menu
kclfc
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

A virgin engineer has severed the communal aerial line. I think...

My mum lives in community housing (read: L&Q) where there is a communal TV aerial line into each flat. We have a Virgin Media service that includes only home phone and broadband but not the Virgin TV service. However, the TV aerial does come off the same wall box that the cable modem comes out of, so I'm not sure if regular TV signal is coming from the communal aerial or the Virgin Media service.

Nevertheless, last week my mum said an engineer was doing something to the box outside - I assume to fix someone else's connection - but she has subsequently lost TV signal. We contacted the landlords (L&Q) who say that the service is working as far as they know. The lady downstairs has the same problem and she called her service provider, Sky, who will be coming to "fix it" this week. I'm uncertain whether a call to Virgin will be any useful.

I'm not sure what to do and appreciate any guidance here.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: A virgin engineer has severed the communal aerial line. I think...

If the communial aerial system is not working you should persist with your landlord as it is their responsibility to make sure this is working

0 Kudos
kclfc
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your advice. That would be my play as well.

I'm going to wait and see what the sky engineer actually does. Maybe they'll fix the loose wire..

Then all the neighbors will get onto the landlord as one.

0 Kudos
kclfc
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So the Sky engineers visited both my mum's neighbours and they've managed to fix "the issue" for both the neighbours but not my mum. Being both non-technical and non-native-speaker, she's unable to tell me how the engineers fixed it for her neighbours. I'm not going to visit her for another few weeks so asking them myself will be a problem.

My mum did call Virgin technical support but they kept telling her that she doesn't have a TV package so there's nothing they can do.

In my opinion, we need an engineer to come out and reconnect the communal aerial to the wall box in her flat. How do I get this request through to the support teams?

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi virgin don't get TV via an ariel its a cable that supplies thier TVs system, and as explained she doesn't seem to be a virgin customer for her TV, as long as her broadband & home phone are working which virgin supply then it has nothing to do with them, don't let the housing association or landlord fob you off. Regards Micky
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It will be the landlord you need to speak too. Normally with communal outlet plates the Sky outlets can be switched between Sky & Virgin. This can cause problems where a customer wants Sky TV & Virgin Broadband together, as extra connections have to be put in. This is probably what her neighbours have had done. This however only affects people using Satellite for their TV. If she uses Freeview from the communal rooftop aerial this would not be used for Virgin as the two would conflict with each other. Virgin cannot fix something they do not use.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

A Sky engineer would have fixed a problem relating to the cabling from the satellite dish to the wall socket. Is there really an aerial as well for TV?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos