Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

what is the difference between TiVo and V6

I currently have broadband and home phone with virgin but have Sky Q for TV - Virging offered my the Maxi Tv package for 50p more on my broadband subscription 

I am trying to work out if its worth it 

What the difference between a V6 and Tivo 

Can you remotely access programs on a Tivo or V6 like you can with a Sky mini 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: what is the difference between TiVo and V6

TiVo is the software - the V6 is the hardware.

V6 is VM's current box which uses TiVo.

You can use remote apps to access recordings and set them.

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well, its a bit of an anomaly.

The older TiVO box itself is still around & will continue to be so for TV customers without VM Broadband. All other customers are being slowly migrated to the V6 platform, which although it is currently running similar TiVO firmware, was built specifically for upgrade to the next gen Horizon 4 firmware now in use across Europe.

This comes with a lot more features like cloud storage of recordings rather than through the boxes internal HDD.

The current facilities allow you to view programmes through your home network on mobile devices & tablets only. You cannot view on another TV, as VM want to sell you Multiroom for that. This gives you a second V6 with all the same facilities as the first, plus inter-box streaming of recordings (watch recordings on one box from the other).

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

so what we are saying is i won't be able to watch programs that i recorded on the main box in other rooms like i can with sky

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Clarky94 wrote:

so what we are saying is i won't be able to watch programs that i recorded on the main box in other rooms like i can with sky

Not without renting a second box. Second boxes must be wired to VMs coax cable as well as connected to the Hub by wired or WiFi.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You can watch recordings made on the main box on other V6 boxes provided its allowed by the content provider. Which it is in the vast majority of cases.

I dont actually know the state of SKY Q , when I was looking at it it had just launched and there were a few teething issues. But if the platform has matured, IMHO its a better platform for HD and SD content. V6 wins for UHD.

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

A lot of the programmes on the V6 can be watched on mobile apps (iPads etc.)

If you have a V6 in different rooms - you'll find all the regular channels will stream between each other. BT Sport UHD, the RTE channels and I think The Racing Channel are about the only channels that will NOT stream between boxes.

@Clarky94 wrote:

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My main gripe with SkyQ is that there is no separation of recordings. If you have a large household everyones recordings are held together on the same box & until Sky bring in some kind of indexing you would have to hunt through everyone elses recordings to find your own.

With VMs totaly seperate boxes your recordings are on your own box, but you can still access the recordings from the other box if needed.

Highlighted
Hero
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The multiroom offerings by VM and Sky are quite different. As explained, the V6s are separate with their own recordings, this is because each box has a hard drive and records from the coaxial cable it must be connected to. Each box must also be connected to the hub to work properly, which has the side benefit of being on the LAN and thus enabling recordings on one box to be played on another. Each V6 supports the full range of services including 4K, HLG (but not Dolby Vision), Dolby Atmos and apps such as Prime Video. In contrast the Sky Q mini box has no hard drive so must stream from the main Sky Q box and at 1080p at best, so no 4K is available.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection