Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

virgin hub 3

When the router hub 3 was installed the engineer refused to fit in the hallway  and would not feed it through the attic" H & S issues" and said it would have to be close to the outside box , the problem is there is a 1mtr thick fireplace wall between router and my pc/tv-amazon firestick location..The  pc used in any other adjoining  room is very slow and i cannot watch any live events on the firestick because of buffering. The technical guy at virgin ( customer service skills similar to Basil Fawlty) told me that the router works ok they do not cover any wifi issues due to walls and would charge  to move it even thought i told him the engineer  could have placed  the router 3 mtrs further along the same wall and directly in sight and within 2 mtrs of the tv etc.Anybody had same issue the fire stick buffers constantly on live events only, can you easily alter the dual frequency settings / channel / band width on the router  and would this help ? Or is the only resolution  buying some  virgin brand  fibre cable c/w connectors from Amazon and doing it myself

THANKS

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: virgin hub 3

The engineer is correct, during the Pandemic Virgin technicians only were doing essential work, they would not be locating hubs other than the entry point. 

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Then that should have been explained to him at the time. As they didn't, Virgin should relocate it to where he wants free of charge.

I had an engineer out during the pandemic. I must have been lucky as my call was answered quickly and an engineer came out after 2 days. I had been told that the engineer would not come indoors, so it would only get fixed if they could do so from outside the property. However, the engineer did come inside (masked up) and luckily it was a simple fault that took only a few mins to fix. He also had a look at another box while he was here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

DID YOU  READ  MY POST FULLY ? VIRUS WAS NEVER MENTIONED IN ANY PART OF THE CONVERSATION AND IF HE HAD I WOULD HAVE BEEN FULLY SUPPORTIVE OF ANY RECOMMENDATION HE MADE  HIS ATTITUDE WAS VIRGIN WOULD NOT GUARANTEE SIGNAL QUALITY DUE TO STRUCTURES  THEY WOULD MOVE THE HUB BUT WOULD CHARGE  !!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @gmj22

Thanks for your post - I am sorry to understand that we have been unable to install your hub exactly where you would have preferred it to be. 

As our VIP @jb66 mentioned, during the height of the pandemic, we were not installing any additional services or outlets; we would have placed this close to the entry point rather than installing extra cabling through the property. 

However, I see you mention that you want it it in the attic and the technician refused under heath & safety. This is indeed correct. Our technicians cannot go higher than a 1st floor without the correct permissions and equipment. 

As it currently stands, we are now performing non-essential work like relocation. If you wish to go ahead with this it would be a £99 non-fault callout charge. If you do wish it to be in the attic, please advise this prior to booking the technician so we can ensure the correct one is send out. 

The other option is to go through the faults route - you are advising that you are experiencing issues with your WiFi due to the location of  your Hub. We would need to go through various checks with you to help assist you with the WiFi issue, including the possibility of boosters. If you still have no joy, we can book a technician to come and assess the property and location. If  the deem it to be the location causing the issue, we can then relocate free of charge. 

Whilst checking your services from here, we can see that there is just one device that seems to be having issues with the WiFi - it advises that it is too far from the hub and is currently connected to the 2.4Ghz connection. You do have a few devices all on that connection which could be adding to the issues you are experiencing. It might be worth checking the devices and moving them to a different connection to see if that helps. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I do not believe you have understood my post fully i had no issue with his H & S issues but he could have sitted the hub 3  a few meters along the same ou wall and in direct line with pc/tv/firestick and not behind a 1 mtr thick fireplace wall . i have been retired for a long and have only very basic knowledge on wifi settings I have tried to phone Virgin on a few occasions for help to change settings but waited so long and got cut off twice that i gave up.To overcome this problem short term i have installed an ethernet  cat 6 cable but having a 30 mtr cable  running all around the lounge is not very practical. but It has solved the buffering .Interestingly the wifi speed (not hard wired) was around the same as my previous ISP talk talk with non fibre technology ? I have done 3 speed  tests today one with Virgin and two others and all are around 80 Mb on my pc and firestick so the recent package upgrade to 200Mb seems to have fallen well short .

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @gmj22

Thanks for popping back - I have understood the situation and explained the issue with the H&S around the attic and also the reason as to why the technician did not install other 3 meters along your wall.

Speed over WiFi can vary greatly; this all depends on the device you are using, the frequency you are connected to and of course the home environment. For accurate speed tests, we recommend a wired connection. 

If you need help with WiFi settings, our Community are here to help you out. There is a wealth of knowledge where with our users, VIP's and staff members; we're all here to offer you help and support should you want it. 

Along with our Community, we also have a vast array of help pages here and on our own website. I'll link a few below for you.

WiFi Wins Forum Post

WiFi Hints and Tips

Improve WiFi Speed

Troubleshooting your Connection

You can also download our free connect app - this will allow you to go scan your home and check for potential black spots of WiFi. If this is the case, you can order boosters via the app directly. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos