cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v6box playing up

havantaclew
On our wavelength

Hi all,     been having intermittent issues with my telly for a while,  no sound when I turn on is most common, but over the past few days I've found that sometimes the box doesn't respond to the remote control. I get no guide and I can't move between channels. I can usually get it sorted by re-booting ,but I have to do this a couple of times a day to stay on top of it.

I know it's not the TV 'cos when I switch to Freeview everything works normally.  I don't think it's the remote as I can control the volume and turn mute on and off etc. 

As I say re-booting can usually fix it eventually but I never know if I'll get normal service when I turn on the TV....                            any advice ?   thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hey havantaclew 

You can check your remote battery level easily enough:

Home Button > Help and Settings > System Info > System Info, then down channel button twice, and you will see - RF Remote Battery Level: xx% ...

But if the remote is able to adjust volume etc it's unlikely to be the issue forcing you to reset the V6 several times a day. As a last resort before arranging for an engineer, you could do a full reset of the V6:

Home Button > Help and Settings > Clear or Reset TiVo box > Clear & Delete Everything ...

This will allow a clean version of the V6's software to be installed during reboot. Beware though, it will also delete any recordings and Series Links you have set up.

Hope this helps,

🤞
Steve

Utrinque Paratus

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

24 REPLIES 24

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you changed the batteries in the remote?

(Sometimes the simple fixes are the best ones)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes ,  that was the first thing I did.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does the red-light on the remote, and the white flashing LED on the V6, flash with button presses?

You can try ordering a replacement remote at https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-lost-or-damaged-tv-remote/download-tv-control-app which includes details about using the TV Control app as another test/alternative.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

It does at the moment because it's working normally,  as I said the problem is intermittent and cannot be anticipated or reproduced at will.

Hey havantaclew 

You can check your remote battery level easily enough:

Home Button > Help and Settings > System Info > System Info, then down channel button twice, and you will see - RF Remote Battery Level: xx% ...

But if the remote is able to adjust volume etc it's unlikely to be the issue forcing you to reset the V6 several times a day. As a last resort before arranging for an engineer, you could do a full reset of the V6:

Home Button > Help and Settings > Clear or Reset TiVo box > Clear & Delete Everything ...

This will allow a clean version of the V6's software to be installed during reboot. Beware though, it will also delete any recordings and Series Links you have set up.

Hope this helps,

🤞
Steve

Utrinque Paratus

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Steve1701 wrote:

As a last resort before arranging for an engineer, you could do a full reset of the V6.

Beware though, it will also delete any recordings and Series Links you have set up.

@havantaclew 

The previous comment about this level of reset being a last resort is on the money.

There's several levels of reset that can be attempted long before you reach this "go nuclear" stage.

Please explain and I'll try them.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you follow Home > Help & Settings > Clear or restart, the first option for a basic reset should be all you need for this scenario.

There are later options (with on-screen guidance) for clearing your guide data, but these are generally used for recording and/or EPG problems.

I'd try a new remote as per post-4 above, also check the LEDs on the controller & box, first.

Thanks for your help gents,     batteries @99%    and I did the basic reset last night. TV came on normally this morning so fingers crossed.