Menu
havantaclew
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

v6box playing up

Hi all,     been having intermittent issues with my telly for a while,  no sound when I turn on is most common, but over the past few days I've found that sometimes the box doesn't respond to the remote control. I get no guide and I can't move between channels. I can usually get it sorted by re-booting ,but I have to do this a couple of times a day to stay on top of it.

I know it's not the TV 'cos when I switch to Freeview everything works normally.  I don't think it's the remote as I can control the volume and turn mute on and off etc. 

As I say re-booting can usually fix it eventually but I never know if I'll get normal service when I turn on the TV....                            any advice ?   thanks

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: v6box playing up

Have you changed the batteries in the remote?

(Sometimes the simple fixes are the best ones)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
havantaclew
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Yes ,  that was the first thing I did.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Does the red-light on the remote, and the white flashing LED on the V6, flash with button presses?

You can try ordering a replacement remote at https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-lost-or-damaged-tv-remote/download-tv-control-app which includes details about using the TV Control app as another test/alternative.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
havantaclew
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

It does at the moment because it's working normally,  as I said the problem is intermittent and cannot be anticipated or reproduced at will.

0 Kudos
Steve1701
Rising star
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey havantaclew 

You can check your remote battery level easily enough:

Home Button > Help and Settings > System Info > System Info, then down channel button twice, and you will see - RF Remote Battery Level: xx% ...

But if the remote is able to adjust volume etc it's unlikely to be the issue forcing you to reset the V6 several times a day. As a last resort before arranging for an engineer, you could do a full reset of the V6:

Home Button > Help and Settings > Clear or Reset TiVo box > Clear & Delete Everything ...

This will allow a clean version of the V6's software to be installed during reboot. Beware though, it will also delete any recordings and Series Links you have set up.

Hope this helps,

🤞
Steve

Utrinque Paratus
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@Steve1701 wrote:

As a last resort before arranging for an engineer, you could do a full reset of the V6.

Beware though, it will also delete any recordings and Series Links you have set up.

@havantaclew 

The previous comment about this level of reset being a last resort is on the money.

There's several levels of reset that can be attempted long before you reach this "go nuclear" stage.

0 Kudos
havantaclew
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Please explain and I'll try them.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

If you follow Home > Help & Settings > Clear or restart, the first option for a basic reset should be all you need for this scenario.

There are later options (with on-screen guidance) for clearing your guide data, but these are generally used for recording and/or EPG problems.

I'd try a new remote as per post-4 above, also check the LEDs on the controller & box, first.

havantaclew
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help gents,     batteries @99%    and I did the basic reset last night. TV came on normally this morning so fingers crossed.   

0 Kudos