Menu
cakesmith83
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

v6 sound issues live/recorded tv

For several weeks I have noticed short interruptions (one second) to sound on live and recorded tv. There are no problems with Netflix through the V6 box. I have replaced the HDMI cable and this hasn't helped. 

TV is a nearly-new Samsung 4K.

Any ideas?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: v6 sound issues live/recorded tv

How about other streaming apps and OnDemand?

Any particular channels? Is your V6 connected directly to your TV by one HDMI - or is there any other A/V kit involved?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
cakesmith83
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Do not use On Demand.....all streaming apps seem OK.

Channel 4 and BBC2 seem worse affected.

Have just watched Channel 4 news and sound was interrupted half a dozen times in thirty minutes. No picture issues.

One (Virgin supplied) HDMI cable connects V6 with Samsung TV.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@cakesmith83 wrote:

Do not use On Demand.....

Can you try? Find any programme you fancy and I'd imagine it should take a relatively short time to see if the same thing happens.

Are you watching those channels in HD or SD? They're different channels, so it helps to be specific if possible.

Have you checked the same HDMI lead into different ports on your TV to eliminate a TV-port issue? And another HDMI lead to prove it's not a cable fault. I suspect it's not that, but it's something to rule out if possible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
cakesmith83
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Channels with problem noted are HD - cannot confirm if SD is also affected.

Have tried switching HDMI connections -does not fix problem.

Will try On Demand.

The regularity of sound breaks seems to be on the increase.

0 Kudos
cakesmith83
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've checked into using OnDemand. I do not have a subscription to the service with my (minimal) TV package.

I am testing whether the issue is HD only by recording the same Channel 4 programme in both formats.

I do have another issue, which perhaps should be posted in a new thread, ...but if it helps diagnosis.... turning on the TV when the V6 box is waking up from standby the screen goes black and needs to be resuscitated by reselecting the VM source from the TV remote. Probably a separate problem?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@cakesmith83 wrote:

I've checked into using OnDemand. I do not have a subscription to the service with my (minimal) TV package.

ITV, C4 & C5 CatchUp is included on all subscriptions. Load your TV Guide, scroll left "back in time" and find a programme from ITV, C4 or C5 with the "C" catchup logo on it. Press "OK", choose "watch from CatchUp".

Your other issue sounds like HDMI handshaking. If the TV tunes to the V6 when you manually select the input, you might just need to leave the V6 on for perhaps a minute or two before switching the TV on. If you want it to auto-select, there may need to be a video feed incoming, which won't happen until the VM box has fully woken up.

0 Kudos
cakesmith83
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Checked OnDemand. Watched one Channel 4 show - no sound issues. HD/SD test results to follow after recordings made.

As regards to 'HDMI handshaking' - why would this suddenly happen several months after setting up the connections?

Are there compliance issues we know nothing about?

I have tried the 'waiting a minute or two' from waking up the V6 and switching on the TV. I still get the black screen. Should I wait longer?

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi cakesmith83, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that you are having issues with your TV services. 

Taking a look at your account I can see that there are some issues. The signal levels aren't where they need to be so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi cakesmith83, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. We cannot confirm the appointment time slot publicly, so to view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM

If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos