Menu
tililasa3
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

v6 box

I noticed lately that my v6 box  gets quite hot on top even when in stand by mode. Spoke to vm  who ran tests their end and said everything is running fine.They then said if you see smoke coming from the box switch it off. the box. They didn't. see any reason to send a engineer to check things out .Is it quite normal for the box to get hot in standby mode. I leave it unplugged unless i am in the room

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: v6 box

Is it well ventilated? Are you doing anything particularly intensive - recording 6 programmes concurrently for long periods?

Is the box still recording shows or being streamed from - if it is, then the HDD will still be running, and that's the most likely source of heat generation.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The boxes do get fairly hot in normal operation, but if the fan is running constantly in standby then there may be issues. As long as the box is in a well ventilated area it should be fine. The amount of channels recording should have no bearing on the heat it produces, as even with no channels recording the box will still buffer all 6 tuners to the HDD when out of standby mode.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

tililasa3
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The box is in the bedroom so i think i will keep it unplugged if not in use
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Remember any scheduled recordings will fail if the box isn't powered up. And constant on/off has potential to cause issues sooner or later - the EPG (TV guide) not being fully updated is one.

Thanks for the correction re the 6 tuners always buffering @nodrogd - that's a very good point.

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey @tililasa3,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on our forums.

I'm really sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with your V6 box, as @japitts stated is your box in a well ventilated area?

Are any of the fans covered up or obstructed by anything at all, that could affect the ventilation?

Do you know if the fan is operating all the time, when the box is plugged in?

Regards,

Steven_L

0 Kudos