cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v6 box and internet connection

Jude2
Dialled in

I have a V6 box connected wirelessly to my hub, as the hub isnt in the same room.  I noticed this morning that the signal strength was jumping around from 50% (marginal) to 65% (Good).  My question is does the box need internet connection for recording programs, and if so will it be affected by how good the signal strength is? and also, will the signal strength affect how quickly the box will update the tv guide.  I know that my box usually update around every 6 hours, and will take a few minutes to update. 

2 REPLIES 2

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All internet-based functions could potentially be affected by varying wireless quality - EPG updates, VoD & streaming.

Do other WiFi-devices have similar problems in the same location?

If you're using the VM-freebie-router, then one option you have is to separate the SSID's for 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz and force the V6 to manually connect using 2.4Ghz

5Ghz is generally preferred where possible but tends to have shorter range than the more popular 2.4Ghz band - the VM free hub auto-roams across both bands on a single-SSID. Separating the two means you can force devices on the limit of 5Ghz to use 2.4Ghz

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Jude2,

Thank you for your post and I'm very sorry for the issue you're having with your internet connection to the Tv box. 

If you can answer the questions from japitts, this can help us to diagnose the issue and see what we can do to help. 

^Martin