Menu
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

tivo apps

I notice from 16th November bbc news app on v6 and sports app are to be removed and some other apps such as radioline do not work. I used the bbc apps a lot so not happy with this move.

As freeview has most of the channels I watch I sometimes wonder why I pay for the tv package??

However the v6 recoding and catch-up are good, but hope virgin continue with the catch up service,but have to be careful not to select hd with the £2.50 charge which is first on the list as I am not subscribed to hd. The problem with the iplayer is the adverts I have to tolerate.

This means I have to switch to bbc1 freeview to get the text service for news, weather sport etc.

This is step backwards, meaning on v6 you have to use bbc player which is not the same.The fees go up but the loss of this service is a negative for virgin, what is the reason for the removal of the bbc apps????

I note this is not mentioned in the news section of the community about the removal of bbc apps for news and sport. A step backward for virgin, I suppose the problem relates to bbc or charges?

Alf28

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: tivo apps

Any decision on BBC apps is not down to Virgin Media. It is a BBC decision. Complain to the BBC.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Here's the announcement from the BBC that affects the V6 and TiVo boxes 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/60e6c823-46da-47c8-85ce-634f4be28480

For people using the internet-based version of our red button service, we will be consolidating our internet-connected TVs apps, retiring the BBC News and BBC Sport connected TV apps before the end of the year as well as the lottery and weather pages on connected TVs. BBC iPlayer will become the home of much of the video content that is currently available on the BBC Sport and BBC News TV apps and the traditional text and data offer will remain accessible on the majority of internet-connected televisions via the ‘Text’ button on the remote control.

The Virgin TV boxes aren't TVs so don't have the 'Text' option mentioned at the end.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

removal of news app on virgin

thanks ernie-c  for the explanation that is down to bbc

Nice to know the true  reason virgin can no longer provide news/sports app, puts virgin in the clear no blame.

BBC recently over-ruled by the government on stopping the red button service/text news service as it affected disabled people.

Hope the freeview version continues.

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Benmcr, good info provided

BBC getting worse, I hope the bbc goes private eventually and I no longer have to pay the licence fee which is expensive

I feel sorry for the over 75's who now  have now to pay the licence fee.

It is just another tax we are forced to pay for owning  a tv.

I only watch itv  and other channels anyway most of the time, rarely watch the bbc but like the red button, the only bit I use and  news.

The switching of services to bbc player means a broadband connection is needed so the bbc is no longer just a freeview service, but that been the case they then remove some of the app services I have used for years and found useful via virgin tv.

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

CLOSED

0 Kudos