Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

service getting more problematic

Had the full Ultimate Oomph bundle for 10 months now and things are gradually failing. Initially after a few months we lost access to Amazon, experiencing the much talked about "spiral of death" when trying to load a program followed by a message "something has gone wrong". This was never resolved but we decided to ignore it. Now we have lost the ability to use Catch Up and On Demand also. After spending multiple hours on the phone listening to dreadful music on hold I have come to the conclusion that it is very unlikely I will renew after 12 months. It is of note that everything works on the second V6 box but who wants to move from the comfort of the living room just so you can watch Virgin TV? We also have supposedly 500mbs fibre broadband which drops out with great regularity and is certainly no better than any of the previous broadband suppliers at supposedly much slower speeds. Having tried all of the usual rebooting and resetting both the TV box and router I decided to try to contact Virgin again today (bad move). After 2 hours 'on hold" I had to stop for a comfort break, tried again this afternoon and got the message "call centres shut "! My subscription is not shut!! What do you have to do to resolve issues with Virgin?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: service getting more problematic

You mention about having a "second V6 box", is your first box also a V6? Or is it a TiVo?

If it's a TiVo... that could potentially be the root of your problems. Sorry if I've misunderstood, I may have misread your post.

If both boxes are V6, how are they both connected to your homehub - Ethernet or WiFi?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mick_E,

Have you tried swapping the boxes around to see if issues relicate on the other box?

Are both V6's connected by ethernet? 

Try following the advice in virgin-tv-error-codes/604  because often Amazon and catch up issues are the result of incorrect HDMI cables, and not always due to internet (especially wifi) problems.

You say your internet keeps dropping out. Is this wifi only, or via ethernet as well?

You can get lot's of help in the internet foums from the online community guru's, by trying the following, and also posting your stats there with a brief description of the problems..

This section may help with your wifi .  Have you tried splitting the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz signals? 2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

Open a browser and log into your hub 192.168.0.1 - then navigate to the following settings so you can differentiate between the signals.

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click on Disable Channel Optimization  then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes. 

Now go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add a 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name  and click on Apply Changes.

You can leave the passwords the same as they are.  Then log out of the hub at the top of the page

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

You could also do a search for an app such as wifi analyzer which tells you the strength of the channel you are connected on, and also shows other channels so you can decide if you want to change the channel number on your hub

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal >  beneath both the 5Ghz and  2.4GHz sections click on the manual button, and in the drop down box click on the channel number you want to change it to, then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes.

This section details how you can get further help in the broadband forums. You should post your router stats there for the learned members to check what the problem is and offer assistance.

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return.

Don't login, instead below there click on Check Router Status

From the Router Status” page copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the Downstream, Upstream, & Network Logs pages. 

You could also set up a BQM monitor  at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you can post the link straight away.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Japitts - both boxes are V6 and both hard wired (ethernet), installed by Virgin Media technicians

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You've not mentioned live TV being a problem, so it's possible your underlying issues could be internet related then.

Some of the advice newapollo's given is useful, I'd especially recommend the thinkbroadband BQM idea. Try posting in the broadband section here - many of the regulars in there will be able to advice much better on that side of things.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos