Menu
ken-box
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

replacing tivo with v6

I have a Tivo box that has a fault and have been sent a V6 box to replace.

Can I use the V6 box just with a HDMI cable, without using the Virgin Hub,  as it was with the previous Tivo box?

I do have a Hub attached to a PC but it in a totally separate bedroom away from the TV room: that means if I connect the Hub to the to the V6 box, the TV & its remote are not in the same room as either the Hub or the V6 box.  

Can this be overcome or should you have sent me another Tivo box instead?

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: replacing tivo with v6

The V6 must connect to the hub, but it has built in WiFi or you can use power lines, if you can I would use the V6 it's a far better piece of kit than the Tivo

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ken-box
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks dannylau 

If I have the V6 box with the TV away from the hub in a next floor room - is the wi-fi then slow responding to the TV remote?

If I have the box connected to the hub with ethernet - can I use the remote in the next floor room with the TV + will this be slower or faster to respond? 

Appreciate advice 

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You have to have the V6 in the same room as the TV as it must connect to it via HDMI, the WiFi may be fine or may not it's impossible to say, but it's used to update the EPG and for On Demand TV, normal view is via the coaxial cable the remote uses RF commands and should work a good way away from the TV

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If it's ok to perhaps clarify a little...

The TiVo box needs two physical connections - the coax cable which carries the TV & internet signals, and the HDMI to your TV.

The difference with the V6 is that it doesn't have an in-built internet connection, so relies on your HomeHub for this. That connection is ideally Ethernet, but can be WiFi or powerline. The box still needs the coax connection for your TV signals, and the HDMI to your TV.

0 Kudos
ken-box
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks japitts - I suppose my question then is - If the Box is connected only to the the coax and the HDMI as was my Tivo box, & not then connected to my Home Hub, what facilities do I lose that I had with my previous Tivo box.

Trust this makes sense & you can advise please? 

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@ken-box wrote:

Thanks japitts - I suppose my question then is - If the Box is connected only to the the coax and the HDMI as was my Tivo box, & not then connected to my Home Hub, what facilities do I lose that I had with my previous Tivo box.

Trust this makes sense & you can advise please? 

it won't work without a connection to the hub, you need it initally for the set up. if it losws connection you don't get any EPG updates

0 Kudos
ken-box
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

thanks again dannylau - suppose my main concern is that as it looks I have to set up with Wi-Fi from my Home Hub instead of Ethernet, that I may have delay in functionality in responses to my remote and e.g. pursuing on demand programs from Virgin. I was happy with my Tivo that has being replaced because of a fault: however it looks as though Virgin are discontinuing Tivo boxes.  

Interesting to see by the way that discussion gets quicker answers than the question on this matter I put to Virgin direct many hours ago 🙂

Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You lose:

• Software upgrades
  • EPG updates
  • Apps (like BBC iPlayer, YouTube)
  • Games
  • On Demand
  • Catch Up