Menu
ighmfc
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

poor wifi and blackspots

Hi I was having problems with my wifi earlier in the year. This seemed to fix itself and had been going pretty good.

I upgraded to the oomph package about the 14th of April since then the poor wifi has returned,

as my daughter is homeworking she is setup using wifi in her room the wifi drops on her laptop and mobile or runs very slow even when no one else is connected.

The TV V6 box in the main sitting room is connected via wifi and often loses the signal and can rarely be used for catch up it buffers for so long then message you have lost internet.

I have used the phone app to check wifi I got the message Wifi signal in this room is pretty good but you night struggle with data hungry activities like video streaming.

I clicked on order a wifi booster only to be directed to Virgin Media web page saying oops something went wrong sorry we're unable to change your package online.

can anyone advise.

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Shaun_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: poor wifi and blackspots

Hi,

If youd like to send me a Private Message with your account number, area reference and address. I can take a look for you?

Thanks
Shaun
If my answer was helpful to you please mark you post as helpful answer and consider leaving kudos.

Want to do right by your nearest and dearest and both earn a £50 credit off your bill? It's simple, Just text ‘RAF 94082 to 80011 with your postcode, account number, friend's name and phone number, so we can call them now.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

ighmfc
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help Shaun,

The WiFi extender should arrive today. I'll let you know how I get on with that.

Still been having issues with Wifi, also wired connection has also lost internet a few times this week I now have an engineer booked for Saturday as the telephone line keeps cutting off.

We don't use the landline often but during these strange times and due to my circumstances I'm in the category having to stay home so have had two calls with the doctor cut off several with my 86 year old mother cut off and my wife had a couple from her employer NHS cut off. 

My daughter has ordered a work mobile through her employer to use as a hotspot to overcome the times when there is loss of service.

Fingers crossed the WiFi extender and engineer for the phone line will resolve all our issues.

I'll keep you posted

Thanks,

Iain.

0 Kudos
ighmfc
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Latest update

Been a couple of days with the wifi booster it seems to have made an improvement.

I have connected this up in the main sitting room with the main TV V6 box wired, the catch up facility is now working fully with no buffering.

Tried watching a movie on the TV on Disney plus via Wifi which was impossible before buffered and failed previously this is now working.

My main PC in this room now works with wifi and using the ethernet direct from the booster, wifi was intermittent before,

My daughters room though improved we have had to carry on using our original set of power line adapters so effectively two sets of power line adapters running now. This has been successful so far.

Speed is still a bit slow on my main PC getting about 20 Mbps for download that is both with wifi or wired but at least it is working.

Speed into the house is ok as my sons PC which is hard wired directly into the superhub 2 gets over 500Mbs on the oomph package. Speed drops on all other devices using either wifi or the power line adapters.

Like I say for now at least it appears to be working.

Phone line will be fixed hopefully with the engineer visit tomorrow.

0 Kudos
ighmfc
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Had a couple of technicians here on Saturday done a thorough check of my incoming broadband as well as the problematic phone line.

Fortunately for me the phone fault did appear to the technicians which was great due to current support limitations they were unable to reroute and change over to voip for my telephone service.

They changed the line connection in the street cabinet then made a call to my line to see it was successful had a call just over 5 minutes which was better than anything else I have managed lately.

So great work from the Virginmedia guys.

Stuart was the one dealing with my case and gave me a call later as the other Technician had been called out to an identical fault from the same street cabinet so they suspect a fault in the cabinet of maybe a power supply so have escalated this to the network team.

Great to be kept up to date and in the loop and pre warned if the fault continues it is being addressed.

Broadband and wifi have both been ok over the weekend so fingers crossed this continues.

ighmfc
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Now a couple of weeks since the wifi extender was was fitted though not as frequent still having issues now and  again. 

Internet working fine connected via ethernet cat 6 both direct into the Hub and the wifi extender. No internet through wifi at all.

After resetting the Hub to factory restore on the third occassion got internet connection via wifi.

After the first reset I ran the network diagnosis tool on the hub settings 192.168.0.1 

Apart from the phone lines it said everything was ok this also showed there were no devices connected to wifi yet said wifi was working.

Like I say after the third hard reset (pin in the reset at the back of the Hub) of the Hub everything seems ok for now wifi with internet and ethernet all fine.

The phone line which we  also had issues with has been ok this week since the visit by the Virginmedia technicians.

As I said last week to the technicians the advice from the call centre was to do a hard reset of the hub two or three times a week hopefully it does not get that bad again though, any reset is an inconvenience.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If the wired connections are all fine you should just ditch any of VM's wifi "equipment" - turn it off - and get your own better quality wireless equipment and solve the issue once and for all.
You will sleep better.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.