Menu
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

plex on V6 - any change of heart ?

this was asked last year and the answer was NO, but since then Virgin have opened up  V6 for Amazon video and for Sky sports... VM now seem to be in the let's make it  "one box to rule them all" mindset

V6 could replace my Fire TV IF it could also do plex, that's the only must-have app that's still missing. 

I know that Plex keep adding devices to their offering **, and already they are on almost all streaming boxes, consoles, some smart TVs....is there any chance that they are talking to VM?

** a partial list Use Plex on these devices. Browsers: Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. Mobile Apps: Android, iOS, Windows, and Windows Phone. Tablets: Android, iOS, and Windows. Smart TVs: LG, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, VIZIO, and Roku TV. Streaming Devices: Gaming Consoles: PlayStation 3 and 4, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.

PS plex already runs on other TIVOs

https://support.tivo.com/articles/App_Information/Plex-App-Information

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: plex on V6 - any change of heart ?

Articles like this won’t help getting it much further:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/23/20697751/piracy-plex-netflix-hulu-streaming-wars

VIP pack with VIVID 350. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

Articles like this won’t help getting it much further:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/23/20697751/piracy-plex-netflix-hulu-streaming-wars

you could say the same about You Tube. it does the occasional take down, but 99% of movies, PPV sports etc stay up.

so if I want to watch PPV events for free on you tube on Tivo, VM are Ok with that.

Plex does not need to get "much further" as its already available on devices from Apple, Amazon, Roku, Samsung, Sony, LG, JVC, Nvidia, Google...

and it has teamed up with Tidal [ well no one's perfect, I can overlook one lapse in taste 🙂  ]    

lets play spot who's missing from the available on list:  just one name . hint - begins with V.

as for piracy - well in some cases the content providers don't want your money even it you offer it - ever tried subscribing to Hulu? 

the Plex client app - Plex Media Player- is just a player. the clue is in the name. censoring that for moral reasons is as logical as saying you cant use an Mp3 player, because we don't know where you get your music from

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sky is missing. Pretty much the platforms that have rules set by copyright holders. They will not allow something that is used by most for illegal watching of media.

And before you jump on your high horse 90% of plex users are breaking copyright rules in some way or another. Sharing with friends. Illegal downloads etc

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

"...the platforms that have rules set by copyright holders. They will not allow something ...."

but its VM's box, so its their call. I doubt that any other players have a veto. I don't suppose Netflix were thrilled to see Amazon video being added, but it was.  And Netflix are still there.

Sky is not really missing, except for Atlantic, VM will gladly sell you a subscription to most of Sky stuff, and then it will work on V6.

Plex on Fire TV works fine for me, I just had a passing interest in whether there might truly be a one box for everything solution- i guess its dream on, still

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

its not VM call. if they add something the copyright license holders do not like they will pull content and channels from VM.

Same reason you can't download shows off the tivo, Limits the amount of tv go devices

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's just about negotiating muscle, really. You Tube are the biggest copyright offender on the planet, but no one dares delist them

( well amazon did for a while, but not for that reason, and that  ended with a total capitulation ). 

only morons pay £15+ for a legit PPV stream that goes down faster  than Joshua on the night, and then they come on here whinging that they missed it

meanwhile - its on hundreds of you tube live streams, one dies, switch to the next one. Simples.

but as ever I drift off topic, so that's it from me.

Plex has some very nice 100% legit podcasts

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

it will never be available on virgin. out of everything i answer that is one thing i have no doubts over in the slightest.

'only morons pay £15+ for a legit PPV'

tells all there is to tell about why you want it.

edit i won't be commenting again either.

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

last answer.

i don't want plex for PPV.

like i said, that's available to all on youtube, which is on V6. 

I put that there just to show the hypocrisy of saying you cant have plex because of piracy but you can have youtube, which does piracy much better anyway.

i have legit reasons for using  plex e.g. family photo albums / home videos but I won't bore you with all the details

bye.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

just buy an amazon fire tv stick then. Cost about £30

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos