cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pixcelation

Jude2
Dialled in

Not sure if someone could give me advice – I always had pixellation with my old TiVo box, but got to the point where it would lose network connection (Green Heart light would flash)  all the time leaving me with a black screen for a second or two (but no error codes). – I started suspecting that the roadworks further up the road from the street cabinet were affecting the cables from the street cabinet to my house although when the picture drops out at 3AM probably wasn’t the roadworks.  Engineer came out swapped the faulty box for a v6 box.

However, I still get the occasional pixellation but nowhere near as bad.  It could happen once every few minutes for about 30 minutes or once in the space of an hour, or I could watch TV all day and not get any problems.  This morning, it happened a few times (every few minutes) within the space of 20 minutes, so I look at the diagnostics page (although most didn’t make sense to me) all tuners were on 100% signal strength, but when I went back to check the diagnostics for the tuner with the channel I was watching it did drop while I was on the page from 100% to 86% (still very good as far as I know) it only was for a second then went back to 100%.  So I assume there was pixcellation while I was checking the diagnostics page.

What I don’t know is as I can’t see all tuners diagnostics at the same time on screen, is if all tuners are losing signal, or just that one.

So, could there be an issue with the channel I’m watching or the tuner that is being used to watch the channel at that time?

Is there anything I can do myself to try and stop this pixelation?  I can generally cope with the occasional pixcellation at least I can watch TV and see the picture. 

2 REPLIES 2

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jude2 wrote:

Is there anything I can do myself to try and stop this pixelation?  I can generally cope with the occasional pixcellation at least I can watch TV and see the picture. 

No, is the short answer. This is as good a case for my "stock" answer to all pixellation queries as any...

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

Naturally, if your issues are occasional and "low-level", it can potentially make tracking them down - and identifying the cause - that bit trickier. It may well be (me surmising with no evidence to back this up) that your signal levels are perhaps borderline, and therefore jumping between "acceptable" and "problematic". None of this alters the fact that it's most likely a signal fault somewhere, and only VM's "hands and eyes" (i.e. a tech visit) is likely to rectify this.

You're best advised to either call this into faults (150 from VM, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone) or wait around here for VM staff to pickup the post - that might take a couple of days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Jude2

Thanks for posting. 

Can you check that the coax cable is securely connected to all equipment, including the wall socket and any splitters that are in use.

Then let me know so we can check the system again for you as you have got some Post RS errors that shouldn't be there. 

Let me know 🙂 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill