Menu
pwatson67
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

parental controls

I have had a V6 for a few years and the parental control requiring a PIN has always been switched off. Recently the box has started asking me to enter the PIN on programmes recorded after 9pm. I checked the settings and the parental control is set to OFF. I've rebooted and then called Virgin who said it should be OK now but it isn't. The next representative explained to me three times what the parental control was for and I explained three times that I knew what it was for but there are no children in the house and it is switched OFF. He said the back line team would be ringing me in 24 hours but they didn't. It is still asking for the PIN and now new series links are not recording and I can't get through to speak to anyone. This means that the box is not working properly and nothing more can be done from their end, right? Or can anyone help?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: parental controls

It’s likely the box IS behaving as it should with Parental Control.

OFCOM has recently extended MDP (Mandatory Daytime Protection) to many of Sky’s entertainment channels. In order to broadcast programmes “out of watershed” it is mandatory that the PIN is locked on & cannot be circumvented by the user. This not only applies to live broadcasts, it also includes any recordings or delayed playback facilities.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0025/125359/statement-mandatory-daytime-protection-r... 

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
pwatson67
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

That must be it, I've checked and the shows are all on sky entertainment channels. I wonder why nobody at Virgin knew that? They were all as confused as me. What a ridiculous rule by OFCOM. 

I'll now have to try figure out why series link is missing recordings.

Thanks very much for your help.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@pwatson67 wrote:

I'll now have to try figure out why series link is missing recordings.

If you start a new post with some specific examples, I'm sure we can help 😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos