Menu
ALF28
Rising star
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

missing tv channels

I have noticed some recordings will not play anymore as the channel is now removed such as "vice"

Can some one provide a list of the "removed channels" (4 off looking at other posts) as my recording are now just taking up space, I presume this due to copyright/royalties that these recording can no longer be played if the channel is removed, so the V6 disc recording are not like a dvd or vhs tape and can be blocked by virgin.

As my price has gone up £3.50, yet my favourite channels have been removed and replaced by 3 other channels, if so what are they?

Perhaps my package price should reduce rather than increase if my favourite channels are removed, as virgin are saving money by removing these channels, and replacing with comedy channels I do not watch, I prefer documentary channels.

Also virgin do not allow package changes online only by contacting by phone call which can take 8 hours- why not allow customers to choose their package/price online, they might actually generate more business that way- in the dark ages still even worse during lockdown.

alf28

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: missing tv channels

All pay-TV providers allow for channel removal & addtions in their T&Cs, and package prices don't change just because new channels start or others are removed.

Quite often when channels are removed, VM allow a period of time for the recordings to still be accessible. The length of this often varies, it has been upto a year for FTA channels but can be less with some pay ones.

I'm not sure what you're otherwise asking, but you can view the current list of channels on the TV channel guide at the bottom of this page 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

1) It is the broadcasters decision to remove channels. This includes your recordings at there are rights issues attached to them. Channels come and go all the time from different TV platforms.

2) Does your package price increase every time a channel is added? No, it does not.

You are paying for a service with an average number of channels, & Virgin tries to keep this at a balanced level with what the broadcasters agree to. In the terms & conditions the channel line up is not guaranteed.

Changing your package may affect other fixed terms or your discount levels, which could change the price of the items you are not changing.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

ALF28
Rising star
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

thanks for quick replies.

I have printed off the channel guide

Just a shame there is a time limit on some removed channel recordings as I have lost some programmes I did want to watch and at the time were part of my paid  package, so I should have access to still watch all recorded programmes even though channel removed, why a time limit?? What difference does it make to virgin what I have recorded, this is in effect interfering with my personal recordings.

I saw  no warning these channels were to be removed and recordings then  time limited, It should be displayed somewhere in account page, email or community news etc., so easy to be caught out by this, I had no chance to watch the recordings just blocked.

I still do not know the exact channels removed recently but can see the new channels added on the list

alf28

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@ALF28 wrote:

What difference does it make to virgin what I have recorded, this is in effect interfering with my personal recordings.

The material you have recorded ultimately belongs to the broadcasters, and part of your VM subscription includes the facility to record programs for timeshift purposes. The recordings are held on your VM TV box, and (legally) aren't your personal property.

Only recordings that you may have on a storage device that you own outright are (technically) your "personal" property I'm afraid.

@ALF28 wrote:

so easy to be caught out by this, I had no chance to watch the recordings just blocked.

The channels will have disappeared from the EPG - and had a "channel no longer available" holding message for a short period. And VM often allow you to view recordings for a period of time too.