Menu
drmarkf
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

iPlayer & Smart TV now not working

For the past few days we've been unable to access iPlayer and YouTube and the web via Smart TV. After clicking on a programme in iPlayer, there's a spinning hold symbol for a while, then 'Something went wrong playing this programme." appears. 

The Virgin app shows no service issues, and broadband & wifi seem to be working fine otherwise, and I've checked wired and wifi connections.

Everything was working fine before.

Any advice, please?

newapollo
Hero
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: iPlayer & Smart TV now not working

Hi drmarkf,

Can you connect the smart TV with an ethernet cable?

Can you perform a speed test through the TV settings?

Are you using the 2.4Ghz or the 5Ghz band on the router. 2.4Ghz has a stronger signal

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
drmarkf
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that.

I'm unsure why this should have stopped working via our wifi now, having been OK before. We have added a couple more devices to the network recently, but they haven't been in use while these problems have occurred, and I can't see that anything else has changed. 

Anyway, I shall try 'pausing' all the other device connections and see if that allows the TV connection to work via wifi to the Hub 3.

I'll also check what a speed test shows.

Hub and TV box are a way apart, so an ethernet connection would be complicated to install (probably needing 2 outside walls to be drilled, plus ladder work). As I recall, the wifi connection strength showed as '60% (Good)' after setting up the TV previously.

We've been considering adding a Google or Netgear wifi 5 or 6 system to the house anyway, just using the Hub 3 as a modem: is this likely to help with this issue as well?

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi again Mark,

Another thing you can try is search for an app such as wifi analyser.

This will show which channel your router is using, and those nearby, you can then go into your hub settings and change to a channel that's less congested.

If you go into the hub settings you should also disable channel optimisation

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just get a 50m run of Cat5e cable (<£10) and run it from the Hub, out the door across the carpets, up the stairs and across the landing (or whatever) to the room where the V6 and tv are and connect it up and see how it performs. This is just a test for a day or so - when completed you will know for sure what the issue is and can decide whether to connect this way permanently (or not) or improve the connection by wifi. Powerline adapters may also be a good option for you as long as your mains circuitry is suitable - my lad connects his computer and games consoles that way up in his room

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
drmarkf
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, folks.

I've done a bit of creative thinking about ethernet routing, and if I use flat cable I think we can do it without needing major wall surgery, working at heights or destroying our decorations, so I've ordered a long reel and will give that a go. It would obviously be the most resilient solution for the future regardless what our current issues are caused by.

drmarkf
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

OK, some progress, thanks: connecting the V6 to the Hub3 via the ethernet cable seems to speed things up generally, and I have got good access via the Virgin V6 apps to Youtube, Netflix and Prime and there's no buffering.

However, iPlayer still shows the same error via the Virgin box via the cable, or through the smart TV apps across the 2g network (it's a Panasonic GX800 50").

So, part of this seems to be a Virgin-iPlayer issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to address that, please? The iPlayer app on my iPad works fine via the wifi network.

I'll get on with routing the flat cable under carpets and along picture rails...

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello drmarkf

Are you able to connect the Tv up to a 5ghz connection 

Go into the Hub3 settings and in smart wifi disable the "channel optimisation". Then, in advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's (just change 'em to xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) with (the same) password you like, save settings and restart Hub. Over wifi you can then select the network that you want each device to connect to individually. iDevices work much better on the 5GHz network. If there is no improvement you can revert back to default with a factory, pinhole reset of the Hub

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
drmarkf
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth.

The V6 box is now connected to the Hub3 via cat6 ethernet, so surely that's better than using any sort of wifi?

Everything is now working except for the iPlayer and BBC Sounds apps on the V6 box, which are still showing the "Something went wrong playing this programme" error.

So Prime, Netflix and YouTube are all working with no buffering, and the iPlayer apps work fine over the wifi on my iPad and iPhone.

I have signed out and back in to my BBC account on the V6 box without improvement.

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

That's strange drmarkf, so only BBC iPlayer doesn't work but other Apps do? Can you try and clear your TV Box's cache by pressing  Home>Thumbs down>Thumbs up>Play>Play>Play to see if it works? It doesn't delete anything on the V6 box.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos