Menu
nightcreatur
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

extending cable from tivo box

Hi 

I've tried contacting Virgin Media to get this answered without success due the closure of some centres.

I am wanting to move my tv to another room whilst building work is ongoing at home. What type of coaxial cable should I get to do this, it will be approx 15metres in length.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
nightcreatur
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: extending cable from tivo box

Sorry forgot to add, the tivo box will remain in situ, I will just be running the cable from the tivo box to the tv in another room.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You cant use just any coax cable, it will cause issues - it has to be VM's.  As its just the TV moving you just need some long HDMI cable of the right spec. We do that to have a TV working in the garden. Of course you might not be able to control the TV box from the remote in the other room unless you can relay/bounce the signal in some way.
If you want the TV box it moving to another point VM will charge you £99 as its a no-fault call out, to re-cable it in the other room.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi if you search on here regarding this type of thing you see that you can't supply your own cable for a host of reasons.Regards Micky
ozsat
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

So you want a long HDMI cable?  Which may cause you issues.

@nightcreatur wrote:

Sorry forgot to add, the tivo box will remain in situ, I will just be running the cable from the tivo box to the tv in another room.

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yep - 15m is probably close to as far as you can go - less is better - so it would need running by the shortest possible route (its only temporary right?).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
nightcreatur
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

A the moment its temporary, but I think if I route cable that could be left in place, just in case my better half has a plan B.

0 Kudos