Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

can’t use Samsung remote to operate V6 in cupboard

Have just purchased a Samsung Q70R 49 inch QLED TV but the smart remote will not operate the Virgin V6 box kept in the unit under the TV unless I open the unit door. Anyone know how I can resolve this? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: can’t use Samsung remote to operate V6 in cupboard

Hello

Taking of what you have told us, then I would believe that the remote you are using is Infra Red, as it works when opening the door, the door is blocking the IR signal. The V6 remote will work as long as the remote is paired as it uses either IR or Radio.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, but it can't be infra Red as it will work from my hallway through the wall if the cupboard door is open

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Infra red signals can bounce off of walls, so it's possible that the signal could still reach the box from your hall. I suspect that it will not be possible to get the RF control to work with the V6 box (though I may be wrong). You could look into an IR repeater, so you'd have a small infrared receiver outside of the cupboard and then an IR blaster inside.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi

It is a possibility that the signal is bouncing off the walls. I will try ensuring that I am further away from the room with the door to the room shut and try again.

From what I understand the Samsung Smart remote uses RF or Bluetooth to connect to external devices. I understand the Virgin box also uses RF, so shouldn't the Samsung smart remote also work the V6 box when it is in a cupboard

Thanks for your suggestion, I may have to do this, but would like to try and find out why the Smart remote won't work

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Mickfriend wrote:

From what I understand the Samsung Smart remote uses RF or Bluetooth to connect to external devices. I understand the Virgin box also uses RF, so shouldn't the Samsung smart remote also work the V6 box when it is in a cupboard

I'm not sure where you've read that as I'm pretty sure that's not correct. The Bluetooth control from the Samsung remote is only to the TV.

The remote I've got for my 2018 NU series Samsung TV uses either IR or HDMI-CEC (which Samsung call Anynet+) to control external devices, and as the V6 doesn't support HDMI-CEC then that only leaves IR.

There is also a warning in my TV's manual that says when talking about non HDMI-CEC control:

Do not place any obstacles in front of an external device. It may cause signals from the remote control to be transmitted improperly.

So that would also indicate it's using IR control.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for your response and advice

This is where I saw the detail on the Samsung smart remote when I set up my Sonos Beam

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3444?language=en_US

It looks like I will have to buy a IR extender and blaster as previously suggested. Disappointing that Samsung with all their technology don't supply a controller to operate external devices that are not in the open, as so many people now-days do not want devices on display below their TV's

Mick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Mickfriend wrote:

Hi

Thanks for your response and advice

This is where I saw the detail on the Samsung smart remote when I set up my Sonos Beam

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3444?language=en_US

It looks like I will have to buy a IR extender and blaster as previously suggested. Disappointing that Samsung with all their technology don't supply a controller to operate external devices that are not in the open, as so many people now-days do not want devices on display below their TV's

Mick

Yes those instructions are to set up the IR control, as this is what it says at the last step:

Your Samsung One Remote will now output IR which the Sonos home theater speaker supports

In regards to the RF bit, the problem with that is that for RF or Bluetooth support the devices have to 'pair' to one another and then understand what is being sent. This usually means that a remote can only pair to one device at a time. So it gets complicated to design a remote device that could pair to multiple devices for different functions and manage that successfully.

But as HDMI CEC exists, for the most part one device can control others over the connected HDMI cable. Unfortunately the V6 doesn't support CEC control.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Thanks for that, very helpful. Do you think going forward that Virgin will design their box to support CEC control?

Are you aware of a good quality IR extender and blaster that you could recommend?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It does depend how much you want to spend and what you then want to do.

But something like this will probably do what you need it to:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C3%82-IR-HUB-Infrared-Extender-BLACK/dp/B00H9DQGEK
0 Kudos