Menu
aj1767
Tuning in
Message 1 of 41
Flag for a moderator

amazon prime and netflix not working

Everytime i try to watch amazon or netflix i can get the menu and choose a programme but then all I get is loading circle. If I switch the box off & then on again it will work but as you can imagine this is quite frustrating. Then connection is via wired ethernet. Please advise

BrianV3
Tuning in
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Re: amazon prime and netflix not working

I'm the same. It's been like this for a couple of weeks now. First it was just Netflix, but now it's Amazon too. I get the menu screen, but nothing will play. I just get a message telling me something went wrong. Switching off makes no difference for me.

I can play both Amazon and Netflix on my TV, PS4 and an Android TV box, so the accounts are fine as is the broadband. I can at least watch both, but it is really irritating that I can't watch them via my Virgin TV box.

I hope they sort it out soon!

0 Kudos
Cueball99
Well-informed
Message 3 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Both are working fine for me so don't hold out for VM to fix anything as it's likely that the problems are individual to the both of you.

What error codes do you get from Netflix?

0 Kudos
BrianV3
Tuning in
Message 4 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Cueball99, you only have to look on this forum to see that a lot of people have had or are having the same problem. This has been going on for a long time, it's not new.

I signed up in January and for the first 4 or 5 weeks everything was working perfectly. Then Netflix stopped working, but only via the TiVo V6 box, it was fine on all of our other devices. The only message displayed is "We're having trouble playing this title at the moment. Please try again later or select a different title." This is a Netflix message. Everything else works, menus etc, it just won't stream. Interestingly the teaser videos don't play either, when you sit on an item on the main menu.

Amazon is similar. All of the menus work, but nothing will stream.

I have reset my Hub 3 and my TiVo without success. Since this problem only exists via the TiVo the problem is either with the hardware or software on the box, or with the way Virgin's systems connect to these services. With so many people complaining about the same thing it's hardly isolated incidents, so I don't see how Virgin can NOT fix this. I'm just lucky I can still watch both on other devices.

Cueball99
Well-informed
Message 5 of 41
Flag for a moderator

To be fair there are not that many people posting about in the grand scheme of things, and there is nothing to say that those who are, are having the same issue or that the cause is the same. Each case has to be looked at on its own.

I too had an issue a few weeks ago which resulted in neither Netflix or Amazon working, which turned out to be an issue with my setup, nothing to do with Virgin although the symptoms were exactly as described above.

I note that you say you have a TiVo, do you mean that or do you have a V6? Also what's your setup and how is it all connected?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 6 of 41
Flag for a moderator

In cases like these I always ask whether the V6 is connected to the hub with an Ethernet cable and, if not, then this should be done to see if connectivity is the problem.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
BrianV3
Tuning in
Message 7 of 41
Flag for a moderator

It is a V6 box and it is connected using an ethernet cable. The fact everything was working perfectly for at least 4 weeks or so would suggest that the setup was fine. Nothing changed. When Netflix stopped working Amazon was fine for a couple of weeks and then just suddenly stopped.

All of the other devices are still streaming Netflix and Amazon without any issues at all including 4K movies, which would also suggest that there isn't a problem with the Internet.

This issue is one that's been discussed on a number of threads. At the end of last year Virgin even admitted there was a problem which they claimed was solved last December. The fact myself and others are experiencing the same problem now would tend to suggest otherwise.

saogan
Tuning in
Message 8 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Same issue here too. Problem started a few weeks ago with Amazon Prime couldn't watch any videos from the menu without the TV screen just turning blank.  Did all the usual like rebooting the V6 box which worked for a day before reverting back to the same problem. Even tried the video workaround fixes mentioned on the forum for this problem by Virgin but alas all to no avail. So called  Customer Services who applied a few tweaks remotely but again all failed to resolve the problem so they sent me a new V6 box.  

Connected it up on arrival and all was fine for a couple of days but alas yes the same issue arose again but this time also affected Netflix too! Strange thing is I can access and play both Netflix and Amazon Prime videos through my Samsung UHD smart TV without ANY issues so this must be a Virgin problem looking at how many people are affected on the forums. 

So for now am using the TV for direct access to Netflix and Amazon Prime and bypassing the V6 box. Not really satisfactory though!!!!!

Cueball99
Well-informed
Message 9 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Are you both connected by ethernet to the hub directly or by powerlines? What is the rest of your setup? 4k TV? High speed HDMI cable? AV receiver or soundbar?

Have you replaced ethernet and/or hdmi cables?

0 Kudos
saogan
Tuning in
Message 10 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Connected initially by Wi-Fi and all was well for a few months then the problems appeared.  Have changed the HDMI lead for the 4\k TV to V6 box, used a direct Ethernet cable connection, gone through all the different video settings but no - the problems persist. Why is it that you can reboot the V6 box and it works for a while but soon reverts to the same issue.   Got to be a Virgin technical issue with so many individuals experiencing the same problem????