Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 11 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: YouTube & kids

Yes Mane it does, I tried the modem settings but I not savy on stuff like port setting etc and plus youtube is handy with my DIY skills and other things.

Unplugged the cable to modem but knowing my luck a random school topic will be teaching kids how internet gets into your home with demo on what cables needed 😂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 12 of 19
Flag for a moderator

LittleMick, 

It’s not a case of ‘single out’Virgin.  If my service provider was with someone else that I had same issue I would be asking them.

Unless I missed it there was nothing in small print that stated youtube app in none optional. Obviously it’s a concern to many then if you seeing a lot of these threads. 

As for other devices out there that is irrelevant as my young child does not have access to those except for PC which I am able to restricted to point I can set up time limit.

Anyhow I have found my own resolution for now and my feed back has been passed on but my voice alone I doubt will make a difference. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 19
Flag for a moderator

On the virgin forum why would anyone suggest that it's wrong to single out virgin anyway? Isn't it what this place is for 😁😁

OK, so I've had an idea, bear with me - it's not complicated but there are a few steps to it. Read the whole thing before you start because there are a couple of decisions to make. 

1 - login to superhub 

2- IF you want to restrict TV box only, go to DHCP tick the Tivo (the v6 shows up as Tivo) and click the add rule button at the bottom. Make a note of the IP address. (if you want to restrict all devices skip to step 3)

3- go to security > IP and port filtering

Here you have time rules where you can restrict access at set times daily or get a grid to do different times for different days 

4- click create a new rule and choose

Protocol: All

Source IP address: choose single and <enter IP from step 2> Or choose All

Destination IP address: choose All to block everything. if you want to block just YouTube choose range and enter the following (one range per rule, so you'll need 7 different rules) 

199.223.232.0 - 199.223.239.255

207.223.160.0 - 207.223.175.255

208.65.152.0 - 208.65.155.255

208.117.224.0 - 208.117.255.255

209.85.128.0 - 209.85.255.255

216.58.192.0 - 216.58.223.255

216.239.32.0 - 216.239.63.255

Click add rule to add each one in turn  

And you're done! 

YouTube IP addresses found here: https://www.lifewire.com/ip-address-of-youtube-818157

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 14 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Better parental controls are desperately needed in the Youtube kids app. I’m glad to see they’re doing something. We have everything she watches a broadcast on the living room TV. It’s maddening because I recently read this article on disturbing content for my baby..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 15 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Oh my days! I just love you 

After so many weeks dealing with this problem, you have sorted.

Thank you for helping me to provide a full night of sleep in this house.

Best wishes,

Cat

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thank you! Followed Mane's instructions and successfully blocked YouTube on the TiVo. This should be pinned as the recommended response (instead of customer support's rather inadequate and easily-reversed 'enable restricted mode' advice) until Virgin brings back locking the YouTube app with the parental controls PIN.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 17 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Virgin and other providers should be looking at a way to add any app accessed via its equipment to have a simple to use parental control.

It is relatively simple to lock a channel out with parental controls, adding control over apps should not require much work, after all they have parental controls for games.

It is not acceptable that Virgin do not offer it's customers a simple way to block content on the V6 box via the internet and it is as equally not acceptable that its customers have to create block lists of IP's that the likes of YouTube use (and add more) in order prevent unacceptable content being viewed.

Virgin have a duty of care and they are sadly failing.

You can't learn anything from a mistake until you admit that you've made it.
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 18 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update catbaba and we're really pleased to hear Mane's advice has helped resolve the issue for you.

Rob

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 19 of 19
Flag for a moderator

This simply isn't good enough.

For every other smart device, I'm able to use my own Google wi-fi network to set limits and block / restrict devices and access. That in combination with Apple's parental controls gives me the ability to restrict apps etc, such that the only place the kids can access the web is in the kitchen.  

The virgin box blows a complete hole through this, in a way where the Sky box didn't.  There no capacity to simply delete unwanted apps (which has been in almost every operating system I've ever seen, excluding the "base" apps to use the device) and Virgin have decided that the VM boxes should access the net directly, so I can't filter them via my Google Wifi.

Deeply depressing that Virgin haven't sorted this after god knows how many complaints.  A suggestion that I block YouTube for everyone across the board at router level indicates that Virgin don't seem to be taking this seriously.  The suggestion noted here sounds great and I'll certainly try it, but there's no way in 2019 that we should effectively be relying on manually editing port ranges at router level to deal with these issues.

I'm also a primary school governor, so will raise this issue at that level and suggest that it's forwarded to the National Governors Association.  If there is a risk that a VM Box 6 means that kids will have access to devices / apps their parents would object to, then they should at least be made aware of it.

0 Kudos