Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Wifi code change for V6 to Hub2 connection

Hi there

We had a V6 box fitted a week ago to replace a corrupted Tivo. It's very good and the engineer came the next day to fit it so top marks to Virgin. While here he had to connect the V6 up to the Hub2 using wifi and asked for the Hub2 wifi code.

Slightly awkward but we had changed the Hub2 wifi password from the default as recommended, and couldn't find where we had written it down, or remember it in the heat of the moment.  So to expedite matters he reset the Hub 2 to factory settings, and we were able to connect the V6 using the default passcode as printed on the underside of the Hub2. We then reconnected our phones and other devices to the Hub wifi using its default passcode. 

Today I changed the Hub2 passcode (being careful to write it down this time) and we have all reconnected our various devices using the new passcode. Of course now the V6 will not have the new passcode..

My question is therefore  - how do I change the wifi passcode the V6 uses to access the Hub2 to match the new one please? It sounds like it would be easy, but I wanted to check if there were any pitfalls when doing what sounds like a simple task! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wifi code change for V6 to Hub2 connection

Hi oldfield,

Thanks for posting, that seems odd. Are you getting any error messages? 

We can also replace the hub for you if you'd like to a hub 3? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi john thanks for your reply - it's fine and the guy did what he could at the time faced with a family who didn't know their own wifi code!! The V6 had to be connected up while he was here to update its software etc.

As I say I have since changed the Hub2 passcode from its default and everything is now working OK apart from the V6 which is still trying use the default Hub2 code as programmed
I just needed to know if changing the wifi passcode in the V6 would be OK - I have navigated to the page OK and just thought I would check before I did it?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yeah it should be fine mate. Let me know how it goes or if you need further help.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yep thanks John seems to have worked OK thanks for that - sorry it's a bit of a basic question - I didn't want to take down the V6 on a Saturday night the family are already at their absolute wits end having had no wifi for 30 minutes this afternoon - you know how it is I am sure...! Cheers mate
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

A V6 will continue to operate without the WiFi connection, displaying live TV and recording.

The WiFi connection is used to update the Guide so an extended period without the connection will lead to the Guide being empty.

Also the WiFi connection is used for apps, such as BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Prime Video, ......

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ernie_C that's very helpful, the V6 went on line and that is exactly what we saw repopulating on screen as confirmation we had done the deed!
cheers
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hub3 replacement for Hub2?

Hello John 

This is a belated reply to your offer of a Hub 3 to replace our current hub2. At the time I didn't think it was worth replacing a working unit for the sake of it,  but just recently we have been getting problems with the internet where the device ie phone or tablet or laptop goes into a sort of frozen state for say 15 seconds then suddenly wakes up again and then carries on normally. It sometimes happens even with a wired connection LAN to desktop mac. We got a local IT engineer chap to fit some divolo powerline wifi access points recently which have made wifi connection a bit better in the far reaches of the house, but the occasional freezing of the devices is still carrying on. I am not sure if the hub2 is to blame or if it is a general issue with the virgin network locally being overloaded? We have 150mb which is usually showing 166mb on test.  I have noticed that the hub2 seems a bit warm to the touch sometimes, it's out in the open so it isn't being cooked in a cupboard or anything!

Do you think a new hub might be beneficial if your offer is still open? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub3 replacement for Hub2?

Hi there @oldfield

Cheers for popping back to us after all these months! Glad to understand that your WiFi seems improved after having some Powerline installed in the home. 

Sorry to understand that you're still having some issues with the connection freezing though - do you notice if the Hub is rebooting itself at these times? Does it happen on all devices? Do you find that it happens on both WiFi and Wired connections? 

I have located your account and run a few checks from here - we can see it's been around 4 days since the hub was last rebooted; do you find a reboot helps at all? 

Other than that, there are no other issues with your equipment and all the signals and settings are within the parameters we would expect with no errors showing at all. 

Pop back with any updates when you can. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub3 replacement for Hub2?

Thanks Katie very helpful and speedy response - I can't remember rebooting it myself for some time, so maybe it is doing it itself. I shall keep a look out, it certainly has been a bit freezy in the last few days i.e. since it last rebooted 4 days ago, not only on wifi devices but also with a wired LAN connection to desktop. Maybe the Virgin broadband is busy with all the Xmas and shop browsing?
I shall keep an eye on it and let you know if I get any further clues - appreciate you testing it though, good to know it's not faulty!
0 Kudos