cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi fi v6

Steve771
Joining in

Hi can anybody tell me I have a Tevo box in a sealed cupboard which works with a magic eye I also have a V6 box in a sealed cabinet which works on Wi-Fi -I’ve been offered an upgrade to have two v 6 boxes. I presume you can’t run a magic eye from a V6 box if both boxes are on Wi-Fi .Will you be able to control each telly or box separately or when you change channels or will both boxes change at the same time ? any answers will be grateful thanks .Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Steve771 wrote:

Hi can anybody tell me I have a Tevo box in a sealed cupboard which works with a magic eye I also have a V6 box in a sealed cabinet which works on Wi-Fi -I’ve been offered an upgrade to have two v 6 boxes. I presume you can’t run a magic eye from a V6 box if both boxes are on Wi-Fi .Will you be able to control each telly or box separately or when you change channels or will both boxes change at the same time ? any answers will be grateful thanks .Steve

If you already have one V6, is it that you've been offered to swap your TiVo for a V6? I only ask because...

Many of the offers at the moment could be to convert from the TiVo-platform (which drives TiVo & V6) onto 360-software which is subtantially different and another can of worms.

And if so - there's a distinct risk your TiVo would be swapped for a 360-mini box without a hard drive.

I may be totally off-piste and you genuinely have been offered a TiVo > V6 upgrade - in which case grab it with both hands. But just make sure first.

Although I can't help with the Magic Eye question, sorry.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Steve771 wrote:

If you already have one V6, is it that you've been offered to swap your TiVo for a V6? I only ask because...

Many of the offers at the moment could be to convert from the TiVo-platform (which drives TiVo & V6) onto 360-software which is subtantially different and another can of worms.

And if so - there's a distinct risk your TiVo would be swapped for a 360-mini box without a hard drive.

I may be totally off-piste and you genuinely have been offered a TiVo > V6 upgrade - in which case grab it with both hands. But just make sure first.

Although I can't help with the Magic Eye question, sorry.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi thanks for answer I don’t know about the 360 box I will be speaking to them Friday

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @Steve771

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

Are you able to let me know if you managed to get an answer regarding the v6 or 360? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Raj question about V6 box after ringing back virgin media you are correct it isn’t a V6 box it’s a mini box regards Steve

Hi Steve, thank you for getting back to us! 

If the second box you have been offered is a 360 mini box, then the V6 box you have would also be upgraded to a TV360 box. (This is done via a software update and a new remote.) The mini boxes are designed to work as part of TV360, so your whole system would be upgraded. It is worth noting that the mini boxes do also require a wired COAX connection to access all the channels, but can be connected via WIFI for the internet (to use apps etc.) 

Regarding the magic eye, as it is a 3rd party piece of equipment we cannot guarantee that it would work. From what i can tell about it as a piece of equipment it connects via the COAX cable, does this mean your current setup with TIVO box is running on a wired coax connection with the magic eye attached at the coax input? If this is the case, in theory you could have the mini box connected where your TIVO is currently (with magic-eye attached), and the upgraded V6 to TV360 box in the other cabinet. 

I would also advise one of the many benefits of upgrading to TV360 is the new remote, including voice recognition technology. If the reason for your use of the magic eye is for an alternative universal remote, you may find you miss out on this feature if you are using an alternative remote. 

All the best, Molly. 

Molly

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to add to these posts, if you've been offered a change to a 360, then be aware the software is substantially different to TiVo/V6 and you can't revert if you don't like it.

Make any conversion on an informed basis. 360 is not TiVo, there are pros & cons of both systems.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

And although the 360 boxes do respond to IR commands, they're a completely different set of commands to the TiVo / V6 boxes, and the supplied 360 remotes can't be set to IR mode for 360 box control.

To use IR commands with a 360 box, you will need to use a 3rd party remote that can be set with the appropriate command set. These tend to be 'Ziggo' boxes in the 3rd party remote list as that's another cable company that uses the same Horizon platform as the 360 boxes do.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Thank you for information very helpful regards Steve

Hi @Steve771, thanks for your post.

That's no problem at all, we're happy to help!

I can see from your account that you've decided to go ahead with the upgrade, so please don't hesitate to get back in touch with us if you've got any further queries!

It's best to keep this link handy in case you need it for reference too, you can view TV360 help here.

Regards

Tom_W