cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is there a extra fee for Sky Sports HD?

arrgee1991
Problem sorter

Five years ago, Sky made HD standard via satellite.  However there is still a monthly fee for HD with Virgin.  Why?

14 REPLIES 14

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Sky has a carriage agreement with VM and no doubt charges extra for HD (and UHD), so VM recoups the cost from its customers. We'll have to see what happens after the next carriage agreement when SD might not be provided.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hasn’t this agreement been renegotiated in the last 5 years?  The Sky Sports News and Mix are only in HD.  All the other sports channels are only in HD. All the Sky Cinema channels are only in HD. Even BBC and ITV are only HD.  Surely Virgin could make better use of a few spare SD channels.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@arrgee1991 wrote:

Hasn’t this agreement been renegotiated in the last 5 years?  The Sky Sports News and Mix are only in HD.  All the other sports channels are only in HD. All the Sky Cinema channels are only in HD. Even BBC and ITV are only HD.  Surely Virgin could make better use of a few spare SD channels.

At the end of the day these are premium channels, so Sky has far more say in how they are offered. The HD charge is a Sky imposed supplement, along with the way the channels must be packaged. On Sky I believe you can now cherry pick which Sky Sports channels are included in your package. A USP they seem unwilling to give to third parties. Sky Sports News & Sky Sports Mix are part of a separate carriage agreement & not part of the premium channel provision.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I understand Sky offer individual sports channels, but the difference in price is pretty insignificant (£18/month for one channel v £22/month for them all) and there isn’t much take up of that option.  It primarily is used for F1, golf or cricket; football tends not to be as it is covered on 2 channels.  However, all of these include HD as standard.

Have Virgin Media themselves provided an explanation?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@arrgee1991 wrote:

I understand Sky offer individual sports channels, but the difference in price is pretty insignificant (£18/month for one channel v £22/month for them all) and there isn’t much take up of that option.  It primarily is used for F1, golf or cricket; football tends not to be as it is covered on 2 channels.  However, all of these include HD as standard.

Have Virgin Media themselves provided an explanation?

No, & they are unlikely to discuss the margins agreed in these deals as they are confidential. Even if forum staff did know the details they have to abide by NDA's.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

It's worth noting that the prices you quote are not meaningful as Sky and VM are dealing with wholesale - not retail - prices.

--

arrgee1991
Problem sorter

Especially as it never works properly.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

My Sky Sports UHD works well, latest example being today's F1 race.

--

My issue is with football, premier league and hundred hd not working today.  I wasn’t watching scalextric.