Menu
Asea2748
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Why is my box different to father in laws

I'm new here and to virgin so not sure how all this works but I am a broadcast AV installer so have a very good knowledge of all things audio visual. 

Yesterday I went to my father in laws to help him setup his new virgin box as he was having issues with his old one all seemed the same as I unboxed it until I came to the controller, so I plug the box in and realised that the software too was different.

After setup and a quick 10mins playing around with the new box I thought why do I not have this new amazingly fast, easy to use box we both have the same package and as I have only recently upgraded on the 10th surely I should have be given the newest devices.

So I have managed to work out that the father in laws box is made by Humax (which has always been my choice of Freeview boxes for many years.) And mine is by Arris or something like that. It's so much easier to use than mine and honestly I was having doubts that virgin TV was right for me due to the complicated interface of the V6 box I have.

Does anyone know how I can get my device replaced with the new one? Because after having a 2 hour phone call to customer services and them telling me that my box is the most up to date I'm pretty lost with where to go next without cancelling my TV while I'm in the cooling off period. 

Any help from this community is greatly appreciated.

🙂 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Why is my box different to father in laws

The V6 is the current TV box from Virgin Media.

The box your father-in-law has sounds like the TV 360 which is being trialled currently. Your father-in-law must have registered interest or been invited to get one as a trial.

IMHO, the V6 is a more versatile piece of equipment, albeit with a more old-fashioned interface.

To re-iterate, you have the latest generally available equipment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Asea2748
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ernie for your reply.

Yes I get it may be more versatile but if you just want to watch TV then the 360s interface is so much better my father-in-law is in his 70s and found it to be alot easier to use and navigate.

I've always thought of virgin TV being outdated and clunky and this V6 box really feels like it too. Its slow to boot up slow to change channels and ultimately just absolutly horrible to use.

I will wait for the 360 box to become available and get rid of the V6.

Thanks again for your response 

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Asea2748,

You can register your interest in the new box. virginmedia.com/offers/befirst 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Cueball99
Well-informed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Are you sure you have a V6 box, as they should not be slow. The V6 box will look identical to your father in laws new box, but runs the TiVo software rather than the new horizon software.

If your box looks different then you probably have the old TiVo box, which is definitely slow!

0 Kudos