Menu
joebloggs
Up to speed
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Why is Virgin Media now worse for picture quality?

Last year I would of happily said Virgin Media had the best picture quality of all the platforms - but since it’s MPEG4 changeover it’s one of the worst!

Now granted I do have a giant tv so things look a little worse than a smaller set, but I have Sky and Virgin connected to the same tv using the same resolution and Sky is so much clearer than Virgin!! 

On Sky you can read text a lot more than Virgin and even looks better in overall picture!!

290B84F2-6EDF-4C92-B351-9067F094901C.jpeg

and Sky 

3000077D-B2CD-4434-8012-9790DCED942B.jpeg

Come on Virgin at least and attempt to make your platforms better than alternatives like you used to be by increasing the bitrate!!

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is Virgin Media now worse for picture quality?

The bitrate on VM's platform is very often higher than on Sky.

What make & model of TV do you have? And what are your video output settings - follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Video Output.

On most (non-4K) TV's the best results are achieved by - at the very least - experimenting with the options. Many have reported success from having 1080p, 1080i & 1080p pass-thru selected. Personally I find disabling 1080i improves things by making the V6 do all the upscaling and my TV just has a permanent 1080p input.

My point being, don't just accept the default settings which can very often be tweaked to improve the end result.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ozsat
Community elder
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Talking Pictures always seems much better on VM over Sky.

The VM picture you posted looks worse than I see on VM looking at that DOG.

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
0 Kudos
Eeeps
Well-informed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's only in SD on VM. Or am I looking at the wrong channel?

0 Kudos
joebloggs
Up to speed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As stated in original post, both boxes are set to 4K - nothing to do with my tv or settings!

Virgin used to have better picture quality than Sky (used to being the main word) but since they updated to MPEG4 there has been a sharp decrease in quality

0 Kudos
joebloggs
Up to speed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes Talking Pictures certainly does look better on Virgin than Sky... I think it often helps that Virgin displays the 4:3 content in its original format, whereas Sky stretches 4:3 to fill the screen!

please also be aware my tv is gigantic so the dog might not look as bad on Say a 55 inch

Also tried 1080p and 1080i, no change

0 Kudos
Richardr1
Up to speed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

One small advantage of the V6 box is that you can either let that upscale to 4k, or let your TV do it.

If you haven't tried, for a test add 576i to the V6 video output, which will mean the TV and not the V6 will upscale an SD picture, and see if that is any better for you on that Sony logo.

0 Kudos
paul0363
Rising star
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Also check that the settings are the same for each input on the TV - many, but not all, TVs allow you to make different adjustments for colour, sharpness, contrast, etc. per input.  If the TV has been set up on one input and it doesn't carry the settings over then it'll be at defaults on the other.

0 Kudos