Menu
HughPMF
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Why is Catch Up TV not working for all programmes?

Please can someone explain the following behaviour as it's bizarre:

1. BBC channels - Catch Up symbols displayed on most programmes but can only click through on some to watch from BBC iplayer directly, the rest just redirect to iplayer logon and then I have to search for the programme again.

2. ITV channels - No Catch Up symbols so no click through at all but ITVPlayer is available on the platform.

3. Channel 4 - Catch Up symbols on all programmes and can click through to All4 player on each one NB: this is what I expect from a Catch Up service.

4. Channel 5 - No catch up symbols so noo click through but My5 player is available on platform.

As an aside is there any way of switching the channel guide on the V6 box so that it only shows the channels I have available (as with the mobile and PC versions of Virgin TV Go) as it's very irritating for the guide to be full of channels I can't view?  P.S. without setting up everyone individually as a Favourite!

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is Catch Up TV not working for all programmes?

Must admit I haven’t noticed any issues with catch-up, except for one programme on My5. But this may just be teething problems between the EPG (TiVO firmware) & the My5 app (Viacom owned & coded). 

There is no way of turning off unsubscribed channels. The same goes for other pay platforms. Just because you don’t want to buy something today doesn’t mean you might want to tomorrow, so why should providers remove it from their “shop window”. The EPG does far more than show you what you can view. It also shows you what you are missing out on.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Why is Catch Up TV not working for all programmes?

If it's ok, I'll add my tuppenth worth...

The "C" catchup logo in the EPG lists programmes that will be available on the CatchUp service, and this usually occurs within 24hours of broadcast, but often sooner. The "Goto Catchup" is the EPG's way of saying it's not sure if the programme has been loaded yet, and when it is confirmed available, "Watch from Catchup" appears instead. What exactly is the trigger for this, I don't know - but I've always assumed it's the 5hourly EPG update.

Currently the EPG only lists CatchUp & boxset content from the broadcast channels and iPlayer. In other words, any shows that are "exclusive" to the ITV Hub, All4 or My5 apps aren't listed.. but they could well be available via the EPG if they're also available using VM's own VOD system.

I suspect in time, that All4 &/or My5 app content will show in the searchable-EPG much like some (but not all) of the BBC content does. But I dare say that will require some back-end changes, and co-operation from the broadcasters.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos