Menu
justasking4help
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Why does my guide start on 101 not what i'm watching

Not sure why but when i press 'guide' it opens on 101 NOT the channel i'm watching. I have tv's from Samsung & Sony and have just switched from BT all of which open the guide on the channel you're watching. it's a massive faff for instance if you're watching 420 and you want to see what's on say 360 to have to start at 101 and scroll all the way down, also if you don't now the channel you're on there's no indicator in the guide to say when you reach it. I've been told just click info (to see which channel you're on) then click guide, then click blue to show jsu sport then scroll down to see what's on. That's insanity when on BT or Sky you just press guide and it opens where you are. I've spent the best part of 2 hrs being passed from pillar to post. The whole guide / remote is light years behind BT

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does my guide start on 101 not what i'm watching

You can key in a channel number when you're in the guide, and it'll scroll to that number. So if you want to view 360, you key "3", "6", "0" rather than endless "down".

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Cueball99
Well-informed
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Or just use the mini guide, press ok whilst watching TV. That will default to the current channel.

Also whilst using the guide, using the channel up or down button on the remote will skip pages rather than each channel individually.

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Personally I can't see why what you want to watch next has anything to do with what channel you were on previously

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi also when you learn how to drive it you can set favourites etc, virgin provide in the help and settings menu, select help it will guide in simple in simple terms short cuts with every aspect of the working of your system.Regards Micky
justasking4help
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your answers but i think i've maybe not explained myself..........

let's say i'm watching BTsport and i fancy a quick look at what's on sky sports, on BT Sony Samsung and every other company with an EPG when i click guide it will open on the channel i'm currently watching, as i know all sport is group i can easily just jump up a few channels and i'm there looking at Sky sports guide. On this box i have to first click info to see what channel i'm on then i have to open the guide but it opens on 101 so before i can see what's on sky sports i have to either scroll all the way back to around 400 (i know there are buttons to jump pages but these are all extra clicks) alternatively i can select to only show sports again more clicks, i then have to scroll down to find sky. this operation on BT is 1 click to open guide and a few clicks to scroll up to sky sports, on virgin it's click for info click for guide click to show options click to show sports loads of clicks to then get to sky. I fully understand how it works but it's ridiculous to have to go into sub menus to see programme info for a channel 5 above where you currently are when my 10 year tv and every tv / box i've used (and i work in TV) since EPG was introduced

0 Kudos
justasking4help
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

That's because you're not me

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Or you could press blue and select sports, or if you were watching sports and then fancied watching the BBC news you'd be in the right place 

0 Kudos
Royalbeech
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It's very simple. 

Press "OK" this brings up the mini guide, you can then scroll up or down from the channel you are on.

Another trick that I don't believe Sky or BT can do, is press pause, then the "info" button, scroll down to the record logo, this shows all the other tunners, which you can then go to anyone of the channels shown, all the while the channel you paused is still paused and waiting for you to go back when ready, just by pressing the "info" button again scrolling down to the record logo and choosing your paused channel.

0 Kudos
MaldenMike
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It is clearly a design flaw not to default to the current channel.  Channels are themed, so the most likely channels you will want to see next are obviously the ones proximate to the current channel.  Why does Virgin assume BBC1 all the time, very annoying.  The quick guide does mitigate the problem a bit, but not completely.  Other than this and a few other silly design issues, the V6 box is really good.  I do love the multi-pause as someone else mentioned, though irrelevant to the guide bug.

0 Kudos