Menu
Coup27
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Why does V6 box keep powering up and off when in standby?

Hi,

Does anybody know why when the V6 is switched off it spins up the hard drive for a few minutes before stopping again? Mine does this at least once every 10 minutes. My box is set to eco low power and nothing is scheduled to record and record suggestions feature is off. It's done it for ages.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does V6 box keep powering up and off when in standby?

The box is receiving EPG updates on a regular basis, so the HDD will fire up at least every 2 hours. Even more at night when other updates take place.

It is a good thing to give the box an occasional reboot to clear out the memories, which might stop some excessive disk behaviour.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Coup27
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I did this but it still seems to power up repeatedly every hour. 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Coup27 wrote:

Thanks. I did this but it still seems to power up repeatedly every hour. 

This seems to be something that may have changed with the latest RC21 update. Mind you if the EPG is updating more often it will please some, as this was a major criticism in the past.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Coup27
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wouldn't it have been better to put enough flash on the V6 to store the EPG rather than spin up the HDD every single time an update comes through? Granted it would add to the cost of each unit but it would save on the energy usage of millions of people.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Coup27 wrote:

Wouldn't it have been better to put enough flash on the V6 to store the EPG rather than spin up the HDD every single time an update comes through? Granted it would add to the cost of each unit but it would save on the energy usage of millions of people.

Every time an update comes through each box has to reprocess all the planned recordings, series links & suggestions, & check for programme clashes. All TiVO boxes & the boxes used by Sky use the HDD in this way. The only boxes that don’t carry far less channels & use less functions.

0 Kudos
Coup27
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Fair enough, thanks for your responses.

0 Kudos