Menu
david_i_evans
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Why do I have to reset V6 box to use sky catch up

I have set a series link for sky one - every time I wish to use the catch up service for older programmes of the series link I have to reset my box, THEN I can watch the catch up programmes.  It's getting annoying, it's not just one programme this happens on 

My box is up to date

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why do I have to reset V6 box to use sky catch up

What happens when you try to watch these programmes OnDemand? Do you get any error messages, for example?

You mention this is happening on other programmes - from the same broadcaster or others? Can you view, say, ITV or Channel 4 CatchUp programmes ok?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
david_i_evans
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for looking at this, no it doesn't happen with other broadcasters - As I have reset my box again, I do not know of the error code sorry.  It's every time with Sky (only) ... bear in mind that it is included in my package.  As soon as it happens again, I will respond with a code.  

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sky Cinema may have issues if you are watching in 4K UHD and don't have HDCP compliant equipment, but the error code should confirm that.

Terrestrial & FTA OnDemand should be fine.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
david_i_evans
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm not subscribed to Movies, but am sport and have no issues with UHD or 4K even Atmos through Netflix is okay too.  I've been subscribed for a couple of years, the box have never 'updated' and doesn't have any when I check for them.... It's worked ok since I last reset the box a couple of days ago - I will post the error code when it next happens

Appreciate your advice and help

0 Kudos
david_i_evans
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes there is an error code - as it's happened again, despite watching 2 other episodes of the same programme.... get to the next one in series

The comment is:

We are sorry you can't watch this right now, please try again later (which I did and got the same error) You can find more info by going to Help on your Virin TV box: Home-Help&settings-Help and find Troubleshooting- on demand. or going to virginmedia.com/servicestatus

I've done what this all says however, unless I reset the box every time, I will get the above message etc.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As I suspected, Error 603 usually indicates an HDCP2.2 compatibility issue, whereby particuar broadcasters/channels do now require you to have HDCP2.2-kit throughout your install in order to watch in 2160p.

Given that you can resolve this by a reboot, it suggests all your "tickboxes" are inplace, there's been a few others on here reporting similar to yourself over the past couple of months, I have a suspicion there may be a model-specific issue going on with your TV - what's the make & model? Is your V6 connected directly to your TV - no soundbar, A/V kit or splitters in the way?

A good way of further proving is this is to drop your video output to 1080, where no HDCP requirement exists. If you're able to watch the programme without having to reboot, then the finger is definitely pointing in the right direction.

0 Kudos
david_i_evans
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

As you will see, I have used 2 different connections, one a direct connection to a brand new Samsung ue50tu7000 UHD tv, via the e-arc hdmi or via an onkyo IMAX av receiver both direct and indirect have the same issue - eg. both requires a reboot.  Before this, I had an Hitachi TV and the same issue, hence moving that to another room and buying the Samsung - the Hitatchi only had an arc hdmi, which is why I thought that may have been the issue

Given that it's happened with two different makes of TV, not just models and it's fixable with the resetting of the box, to me, it points to an issue with the box or coding - considering I can get ATMOS via the virgin media Netflix channel if I use the Onkyo IMAX 

The annoying thing is that if I want to watch the catch-up whilst I am recording it stuffs up the recording for the 5 to 10 minutes of resetting the box

0 Kudos
david_i_evans
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Oh.... I've also used two different HDMI leads, a 2.0 and 2.1 lead capable of 4k and the other 8k - so mixing and matching hasn't helped the issue

0 Kudos
david_i_evans
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, sadly, despite the fixes offered by Virgin it is still happening .... 90% of the time to sky - I have to reset the box every time this happens - even though I've set it only for 1080 and am using gold 4k hdmi leads... it's pretty annoying that Virgin haven't got a handle on this