Menu
Pauly
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Why can't I get an engineer visit?

Hello

I wonder why I am finding it so difficult to get an engineer to visit my house when Sky is actively sending them?

I recently decided to ditch Sky as their Q boxes are an utter joke and return to Virgin for my TV service. I already have BB, phone and a single V6 box that I only used for Netflix really. I agreed to sign a new contract to receive full TV on the understanding my second box would be fitted in April. The second co-ax connection is already there, but apparently, the computer system says it isn't and I need an engineer. I even checked that it works by moving my existing box, where it recognises the signal, but won't update the channel list.

Do I really need an engineer, and why can't they just send me a second box?

Help and explanations would be greatly received.

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
TonyJover
Dialled in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why can't I get an engineer visit?

@Pauly wrote:

Do I really need an engineer, and why can't they just send me a second box?

Apparently, yes.  None of us really know why as far as I know, but VM insist that an engineer has to install the mini hub and we can't do a self-install.  Covid restrictions mean that they're only sending engineers for new customers and/or major faults at present although that situation is gradually improving.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Pauly wrote:

I agreed to sign a new contract to receive full TV on the understanding my second box would be fitted in April

I don't know the circumstances that led to this "understanding", but I rather suspect it may have been well-intentioned but ultimately not an understanding that it was possible to guarantee.

@Pauly wrote:

The second co-ax connection is already there, but apparently, the computer system says it isn't and I need an engineer.

As far as I'm aware, VM don't keep a record of individual coax connections, can you clarify what you mean by "recognises the signal, but won't update the channel list"?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Pauly
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies...

@TonyJover

They never mentioned a mini-box, just a second box.

@japitts

They specifically stated that the engineers will be working again in April and I should get a visit by then, but she did also say that the records stated I only had one connection, and she can't update it - maybe she was just trying to make excuses, I really don't know. And the system info menu stated that it was connected and had a signal, but the box tried to update channels and failed at 15%. When I returned it back to the other location, it worked no problem. I just assumed it was because the multi-room subscription wasn't active.

Paul

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Do you have a V6 setup or a 360 one? This is posted in the V6 board and you've referred to V6, but... you've mentioned about recently returning to VM. New TV installs since December-ish (except TV-solus without broadband) have been to 360.

360 multiroom installs will be one main box with HDD, and non-HDD minis for any additionals. V6-based setups will all be HDD boxes.

As for the extra co-ax point, I would assume that unless your second box is active on your account, you are effectively a single-room subscription for now. If you have multiple coax points in your home, then I don't see any reason why a single box shouldn't power up and work on any of them - providing those wallpoints aren't faulty or have been disconnected somewhere. The channel-load sticking at ~15% is a symptom of a missing coax connection.

If you try to connect multiple boxes at the same time, you'll hit problems - but as best I can read, you're not trying to do this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Pauly
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I have a V6 box that up until last month just received the basic channels (they sent it to me about 3 years ago). I never cancelled my BB or phone but swapped to SKY tv a good few years ago, but when I came to re-negotiate a deal, they forced their horrid Q boxes onto me - it lasted 48hrs 😠

I will re-try moving the box again, and see if it works. If it does, I will ask if they will be kind enough to send out the 2nd box. If not, I guess it's a waiting game...

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pauly,

Thank you for your post regarding an engineer visiting to install your second box.

Unfortunately we can't install extra TV boxes on their own at the moment, please visit our Covid 19 page for more information on what services we are currently able to provide and keep checking back for updates on our Covid 19 restrictions.

Sadly the TV Box will not be available as a self-install, I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Please bear with us and we will be able to install your extra TV box as soon as it is safe to do so.

Thanks,

Serena

0 Kudos
Pauly
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ok, thanks for the reply.

I will contact CS to discuss how I am going to proceed, as obviously the deal was for two boxes.

Thanks again

Paul

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Pauly

Whilst we do understand the frustration, if you have indeed taken out an offer for 2 boxes but we have only installed one - we are not in a position as yet to be able to offer the installation of a second box; I can only apologise. 

Please have a look on your online account for your MyVirginMedia; from here you can check your contract and package to see if you have indeed signed up for multiple boxes and what those boxes should be. 

If it is indeed listed that you should have two boxes, then a credit would be applied to your account to cover the additional box until we can come and install it for you.

If there is only one box listed and you are wanting to upgrade to multiple boxes, you can of course call us on 150/03454541111 to upgrade your package; however we are currently not sending manned installs for additional boxes. Some boxes are available for self-installation depending on your home set up. 

Hope that helps

Cheres

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos