cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the V6 Ethernet connection do?

Hoof_Hearted
On our wavelength

My new Hub 5, as you probably know, has four ethernet ports. All of them are in use by something.

On Tuesday British Gas installed a new ultra efficient gas boiler for us.  It needs one of the sockets on the Hub 5 too. For Hive.  So I took one plug out to make way for it.

The plug I removed leads to the back of my V6 set top box. As of today, Thursday, disconnecting the V6 ethernet cable from the Hub 5 doesn’t appear to have made any difference to the operation of the V6, so I’m wondering why I connected it in the first place. I guess it was probably something in the set up instructions telling me to do this.

Does anyone know why the V6 needs the ethernet connection?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Hoof_Hearted 

The V6 needs an internet connection, it doesn't have to be by ethernet.  Depending upon the signal strength wifi should be sufficient.

The V6 internet connection is used to update the EPG, access the streaming apps and on demand content, linking to VM servers to download any over the air updates, connect to any other VM set top boxes you may have..

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Hoof_Hearted 

The V6 needs an internet connection, it doesn't have to be by ethernet.  Depending upon the signal strength wifi should be sufficient.

The V6 internet connection is used to update the EPG, access the streaming apps and on demand content, linking to VM servers to download any over the air updates, connect to any other VM set top boxes you may have..

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

It's about reliability as wired trumps wireless every time. One day your WiFi may drop out, leaving you to wish you'd never pulled that cable out of the V6. I suggest a network switch to add gigabit ports (see my sig for an example of such a switch).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hoof_Hearted
On our wavelength

Hi Roger_Gooner

It seems the Hub 5 wireless must be working with the V6 over wireless as @newapoIlo suggests. I think however I will need to go down the switcher route as you say.  I reckon I’m going to need one at some point in time because I hear they are to close down our current landline phones too.  “It ain’t broke. So let’s fix it just because we can."

I note you have the TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch. How are you getting along with that?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Hoof_Hearted 

When VM switch off the current landline system and base it through the hub then you don't need an extra ethernet port.  There are two phone ports on the hub and the telephone goes into the port marked Tel1.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

That’s helpful. Thanks.  I don’t think I have anywhere to plug another box in anyway.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

My TP-Link switch works flawlessly, it's unmanaged with nothing to go wrong. There are seven ports available once you plug it in your hub, which is enough for most people.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection