Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Want to put TV on wall but don't want lots of cables

I want to mount my TV onto the wall but ideally don't want too many cables coming from my TV.

Is there any way of wirelessly connecting my TiVo box to my TV, or do I have to connect it using the hdmi lead? Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Want to put TV on wall but don't want lots of cables

There are HDMI senders available, but they are bulky & don’t come in “stick” form, so you would still need a “box” at the tv end to receive the signal.

VIP pack with VIVID 350. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thought that might be the case. Thanks for your reply. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just recently done the same thing, mounting to a solid wall. Chased a channel out and put 3 hdmi cables in plus an aerial lead going to sockets placed behind the tv ( you can get them off ebay ) and put in a brushed wall plate above the skirting board for the cables to come out and chased for a cable to reposition the plug socket again behind the TV. Nothing is on show and all works like a dream. Put the cables in suitable trunking then repair plaster over. To finish I put on lining paper on the wall and repainted that wall.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This sounds like a good idea. Mine is a solid wall also. Wasn't sure how easy it would be to chase the wires in the wall, and to get a socket up behind the TV. 

Thanks for your assistance 😁

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Before you put any cables into the wall - make sure they are fully working.

Some people buy the cables and put them into the wall - then find one doesn't work.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS & UHD/HDR)
VIVID 500 (500/35mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD + 2 minis)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Spoiler

Sounds very obvious......yet probably more common an error than we think. Thanks for the tip. 

Can I ask, when you say putting cables into the wall? How would you suggest I do it? (Solid brick wall) 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

First thing I did was measure where the TV was going then I put the bracket on the wall. I drew around the pattresses and then drew the channelling lines down to just above the skirting board to the left hand side of the TV. On the right had side I drew around a pattres to fit a single power socket to the left behind where the tv would go. For cutting I was going to use an angle grinder with a stone disc in, but the wall turned out to be breezeblock so was easy to channel with a bolster chisel. I made it wide enough to take 3 hdmi cables and an aerial lead . the HDMIs went into a double and single unit and the Ariel lead into a single unit, One tip is to buy the hdmi sockets with a 90 degree angle on the back as then you don't have to bend the hdmi cables, I learned this the hard way.. It was all pretty straight forward to be honest and done over a weekend, I bought 3 half meter hdmi leads to go from the back of the tv into the wallplates and numbered them 1 2 and 3. If you are abit OCD like me then its a worthwhile, if not messy job.

Highlighted
Hero
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I think most people should get a builder to do this sort of work.

It's a good tip to get right angled HDMI cables, I use them as my Panasonic TV has horizontal HDMI inputs (why?) and the use of these cables means that there is no strain and they don't protrude over the side of the TV.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos