Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Want to make a wired connection from V6 box to netgear extender

Hi. SuperHub is in one room; 3 other V6 boxes are in other rooms, all 3 on WiFi. Works well with 1 box, where WiFi signal is strong, only the V6 in room next to SuperHub. The other two V6s (bedroom A and bedroom B) are further away and performance is unreliable. Virgin Engineer originally installed, 4 years ago, NetGear extenders in bedrooms A and B, to boost WiFi; it is not very powerful.

I want to hardwire the V6 in bedroom A, which is very far away from SuperHub. 

Can I connect via Ethernet cable the existing Netgear Extender to achieve the equivalent of a wired connection this way? Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Want to make a wired connection from V6 box to netgear extender

With extenders, no. They just pick up the WiFi, boost it & re-transmit it. You would need wired powerline kit. You plug one unit in to a ring main socket next to the Modem/router with an Ethernet cable. The other unit plugged into another ring main socket at the other location can either be an Ethernet output only or both Ethernet & WiFi.

You can get power passthrough types if you are short of ring main sockets so you don't lose a socket by using one.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for that!  Actually, I believe that is in place, and I mis-communicated the current hardware set up. There is a netgear poweline 1000 hardwired (Ethernet cable) to the SuperHub. There is a netgear extender in bedroom A. 

does that help the situation at all?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You have 3 options for connecting "distant" V6's to the Hub

1) Ethernet cable connect it to the Hub – always the best solution and not as difficult as you may think initially – good/flat Cat6 cable is relatively cheap and easy to conceal.

2) Improve the wifi signal at the V6 location – there are lots of discussions and opinions/suggestions how to do that on here -look at Mesh systems – V6 works best on the 5GHz band

3) Connect the V6 to the Hub by good quality powerline adapters and Cat6e cables (these have better shielding from interference) going between the units and the Hub and to the V6.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for this, John. Options are now very clear. 
i am going to try power line adapters first (now). They are here and I have limited skills and we’ve already had 5 Virgin engineers here over the past 4 years and are isolating now. 

so here goes. Thanks again. I’m likely to be back soon. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi again. Tried working the netgear powerline 1000s (1 WiFi + 2 non-WiFi). Got all lights lit but it refused to accept password (reboots, factory resets, etc) so could not get on to the Netgear ssid. Abandoned that solution and set the the Velops, with a reasonable improvement in the black-out zones. 

If I wanted to increase performance further, which powerlines would you suggest?

thank you!!

0 Kudos