Menu
Kerrybozz82
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Want to extend cable

Hi,  How come its so difficult to contact Virgin? Cannot find any online chat or email.

I need to move my TV to opposite side of room, It was initially set up in front of lounge window so it was close enough to the box, Issue is cannot watch TV due to brightness in day time, and no i don't want to shut curtains, i have looked at cables on ebay but they do not look the right ones, How do i get in touch with an engineer to come out and extend the cable? 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Want to extend cable

In normal times, you'd call VM on the usual faults number and request a non-fault callout for £99

At the moment, VM are only offering home visits for single-box installs & fault fixes, neither of which this is. Also the cabling to your TV box forms part of VM's network and should only be amended, installed or repaired by VM staff. As things stand, I'm afraid to say you won't be able to get this done.

You can follow the current policy at https://www.virginmedia.com/help/coronavirus-update 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you move your TV what would be the length of the HDMI cable if the TV box remains where it is? A length of 3m would be fine for a 4K TV.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Kerrybozz82
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It would be 15m

Non 4k TV

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Do you really mean 15m? If so it's a huge room.

--
0 Kudos
Kerrybozz82
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, as it would have to go around edges of room, That was the length of ethernet cable we had running from hub to firestick before we got virgin. Might get away with 10m if we leave hub and box in the window. 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You can try a fibre optic HDMI cable which are expensive but could work. Sorry, cannot recommend any make as I don't use them but check out reviews in Amazon.

--
0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Kerrybozz82,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, we are currently unable to offer non-essential engineering visits. This is to protect our customers and our staff. We will be happy to take a look into this once things have eased.

Thank you

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos