cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume controls no longer working on Sony TV

Michali
Tuning in

We have a Sony TV, a V6 box, a woofer, a sound bar and a V6 remote. Everything was working well until today. The remote no longer controls the volume on the TV, including the mute button. We can still change channels etc. We have changed the batteries. The only way we can control the volume is at the sound bar itself. We looked at some previous answers to similar problems and saw we should go into Settings, audio/video and determine what the remote is paired with. However when we go into Settings, we see Audio - Alternate audio, Dolby Digital, and Sound Effects Volume and none of these lead to volume control. 
Could anyone advise please? We are too scared to try anything too drastic and hope there is an easy fix! 

7 REPLIES 7

roy247
Community elder

@Michali wrote:

We have a Sony TV, a V6 box, a woofer, a sound bar and a V6 remote. Everything was working well until today. The remote no longer controls the volume on the TV, including the mute button. We can still change channels etc. We have changed the batteries. The only way we can control the volume is at the sound bar itself. We looked at some previous answers to similar problems and saw we should go into Settings, audio/video and determine what the remote is paired with. However when we go into Settings, we see Audio - Alternate audio, Dolby Digital, and Sound Effects Volume and none of these lead to volume control. 
Could anyone advise please? We are too scared to try anything too drastic and hope there is an easy fix! 

They will be the Settings on the TV, you need to check the Settings on the 360 box, press the Home button on the 360 remote and go to Settings, Audio & video, Volume keys control.

Forgive my ignorance but how do we get to the Settings of the V6 Box if that is not what we are already seeing on the TV? We have pressed Home on the V6 remote that we have which brings up Help and Settings. We then go to Settings and that takes us to Audio which I described in my initial post. All these "pages" have the VM logo at the top thus suggesting that we are accessing the VM V6 box. 

roy247
Community elder

You posted on the 360 forum maybe someone with a V6 can help now your post has been moved.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Michali wrote:

We have a Sony TV, a V6 box, a woofer, a sound bar and a V6 remote. Everything was working well until today. The remote no longer controls the volume on the TV, including the mute button. We can still change channels etc. We have changed the batteries. The only way we can control the volume is at the sound bar itself

Forgive my ignorance but how do we get to the Settings of the V6 Box if that is not what we are already seeing on the TV? We have pressed Home on the V6 remote that we have which brings up Help and Settings. We then go to Settings and that takes us to Audio which I described in my initial post. All these "pages" have the VM logo at the top thus suggesting that we are accessing the VM V6 box. 

Hi @Michali 

I've moved your post from the 360 forum to the V6 forum.  You posted in the Tivo forum last month and are now mentioning the V6 box.

If you go to <<< this page >>>  there are a couple of sections.

One section shows how to reset your V6  remote and pair it to your TV again. "How to reset the Virgin TV remote"

Below there is a section explaining "How to control volume on AV devices using the Virgin TV Remote" should  you wish to set up the V6 remote to control your soundbar

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thank you! I will follow the link

I was reluctant to reset and re-pair the remote and after two days, I discovered that my husband had inadvertently turned off the Bluetooth connection to the sound bar. By chance I pressed the Bluetooth button on the sound bar and viola,  the sound came on again. 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the update Michali,

I'm glad the matter is sorted for you however apologies for the problems to begin with.

Be sure to pop back up if you have any further queries.

All the best,

Kain