Menu
GrahamDragon
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Virginmedia TIVO On Demand Fault

Can you advise me when you are hoping to fix the fault that means nobody in my area can get On Demand services?

This has been the case since last Saturday.  Surely it shouldn't take a week or more to fix it?  The last estimate the engineers gave was 16:00 today (Friday), but it is still not fixed.

I now find it is impossible to find any programmes on a number of channels from 6:00 am tomorrow, which means I am unable to set the recordings I had planned.

Could you also advise how much discount you are going to give us for the lack of this service for a week or more?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virginmedia TIVO On Demand Fault

Do you have a TiVo or a V6? If you're not sure, check here 

@GrahamDragon wrote:

I now find it is impossible to find any programmes on a number of channels from 6:00 am tomorrow, which means I am unable to set the recordings I had planned.

This doesn't sound like anything to do with OnDemand. It does sound like your box doesn't have an internet connection to update the TV Guide.

Confirmation of which box you have (check the link above) will start to help with identifying why this might be happening. It may just help with VOD too - that uses the same internet connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
GrahamDragon
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No, it is not my box.  Virgin confirmed it is a problem their end that is affecting everyone in this area.  They promised to keep me updated, but the last e-mail they sent said they expected the repairs to be complete by 5th February.  If you check the service area of the site it says 8th February.  But finally I managed to get through to technical help and they say it won't be fixed until 16th February.  It is most frustrating!

0 Kudos
GrahamDragon
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have checked, and mine is a V6 box.

The box has the "up and down link" light flashing red, as does the booster, suggesting there is no internet link.  When I asked technical if that indicated there is a problem with my box connecting with the internet and asked if I should try connecting it directly rather than relying on wi-fi, they told me that my problem is definitely as a result of the overall problem in the area which they are trying to fix, and said I should not play around with it as that would not help.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The V6 connects to the internet via your homehub.

You can check the status of your V6 <---> Hub link by following Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network.

If your V6 reports this connection as working, but you still have the connectivity lights, this would suggest a problem elsewhere in the VM network which would be what the agents have been referring to.

If your V6 reports no network connection present, then there's your problem.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

GrahamDragon
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I think the V6 shows on the network.  It does not say Virgin, or V6, but identifies as the make of television I have.  As the television is on the network this must be through the V6, as I have not connected it any other way.  So it seems the agent was correct.  I have not seen any other people complaining about the lack of on demand through Virgin, so I guess the failure is in a very limited geographical area.  Perhaps that is why they are not giving it much priority and expect to take 2 weeks to fix it.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virginmedia V6 issues

Sorry, you've completely lost me and I'm still not convinced about your issues.

Your V6 has two connections. The coax cable carries your live TV channels. The internet connection (via your homehub) provides the internet which carries OnDemand, TV Guide updates, and numerous other functions.

You can check the status of your V6 <---> Hub link by following Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network. In the top-right of this screen, your connection status is shown. Try taking a picture of it, and post on this thread if you want it double-checked.

There's nowhere on your V6 menus that your make or model of TV is identified, so I'm not sure where you're seeing this.

0 Kudos
GrahamDragon
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, I thought you meant check network status through my computer.  That is where I found the TV is connected to the network.

I have gone through the V6 menu and in Network Connection it says "No connection".  It shows the last success as Sat 30/01 11:28, which is when the On Demand failed.

If I then go to "View Network Status" , the Link Status shows as Connected.  It has given me an IP address and a Broadcast address.  When I try to ping them from my computer I get "Destination host unreachable".

Definitely the agent told me the fault is at the Virgin end and that I should not try playing around with my hub connection.  From all the above do you disagree?  The fact that it says "No connection" in Network suggests it is not connected to the hub, but the fact that it says "Connected" in link status suggests that it is.  But the fact that I cannot ping the stated IP address or Broadcast address suggests it is not.  Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
GrahamDragon
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Also, as further information, the only channels that are not updating the programme information are Channels 4 and 5, Gold, Dave, and S4C.  All the other channels are updating as normal, but the channels I have listed do not even show what programmes are on now.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@GrahamDragon wrote:

I have gone through the V6 menu and in Network Connection it says "No connection".  It shows the last success as Sat 30/01 11:28, which is when the On Demand failed.

Forget everything else - if your V6 is showing "no connection" in the network screen, this is your issue. As per my previous post, your V6 has 2 connections (coax for live TV, internet for OnDemand, TV Guide updates etc) and this screen is reporting your internet connection status as not working.

Your V6 is connected to your homehub via either Ethernet or WiFi, in exactly the same way as your other devices, laptop etc, are. Are you using Ethernet or WiFi to link your V6 to homehub?

Can you confirm that your homehub is otherwise working ok and providing an internet connection to other devices?

0 Kudos