Menu
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Virgin vs Sky

I find myself in an awkward situation... stay with Virgin or go back to Sky?

As I come out of contract, I have been offered the Ultimate Oomph for a second year at £99 - amazing value, which I know can't be beaten. However, there are pros and cons and perhaps some experts here can help me decide?

Virgin's customer service is appalling. I'm not talking one-offs here - I'm talking about patronising, rude advisers that don't care! I literally get anxious at the thought of having to call customer services.

So, I've had Sky Q installed so I have the 14-day cooling off period to decide. This also gives me the advantage of comparing Sky and Virgin side-by-side...

Picture: Sky's broadcast picture quality is far superior to Virgin - much crisper and sharp! There's also 4K and HDR content in abundance!

Virgin's UI is awful and a big deciding point for me. With Sky rolling out a new Q update as we speak, will Virgin UK ever upgrade to Horizon 4? Would this be on the existing V6 box?

I've also noticed sound quality on Sky being better than Virgin - again, sharper and crisper!

So. I feel torn! Stay with Virgin who offer great value (and touch wood, problem-free Internet, TV and phone), or go back to Sky with their modern UI and unrivalled choice?

Virgin would be perfect if customer service was improved and updated their UI. Please, someone - help me decide 🙂

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin vs Sky

Hi paulcymru,

The Horizon interface will be running on the V6 at some point, it was muted to be later this year and some people are testing it at the moment.

With Virgin and the V6, you only get 1TB on each box, however the Ultimate Oomph package has 2 V6 boxes, so that's 2 TB of storage. You can get UHD on both boxes. With Sky you can only have 1 SkyQ box - the mini's  don't broadcast 4K. 

Virgin currently have a number of HD channels that aren't available on Sky

There are lots of complaints on the sky forums at present about the latest SkyQ update, many don't like the new interface.  Each to their own, you can't please everybody, some people just don't like change.

Virgin currently doesn't have Sky Atlantic, there is nothing to show that VM will be getting it, however some people on various forums read between the lines and think that it is coming as part of the latest agreement between VM and Sky.

There's no definite date however last year it was agreed that VM would be getting 4K content from Sky this year. The link regarding the deal is extended-partnership-between-virgin-media-and-sky 

As part of the extended deal, Sky’s stellar line up of entertainment, cinema and sports channels will continue to be available on Virgin Media’s TV platform, with Virgin customers set to enjoy new Ultra HD linear and additional video-on-demand content from Sky next year. 

The new content is set to include Sky Cinema Original films and live sports in UHD, along with unmissable Sky original drama on demand, including shows like Jamestown and the forthcoming comedy Brassic, starring Michelle Keegan. 

I've had both systems, and had a few issues on each, and to me there is no difference in the Customer Service,  however many would disagree with me. I can only go by own experience.

I'm happy with my VM experience and the price I pay for my services, especially the added value of the unlimited sim on the Ultimate oomph bundle.

Broadband wise, again it's each to their own.  Speedwise it's VM every time for me compared to an openreach line.

A couple of Youtube videos showing the Horizon interface , there are probably more recent ones available.

Horizon TV set-top box 2013 

VM Ireland interface 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Anonymous wrote:

As I come out of contract, I have been offered the Ultimate Oomph for a second year at £99 - amazing value, which I know can't be beaten. However, there are pros and cons and perhaps some experts here can help me decide?

Virgin's customer service is appalling. I'm not talking one-offs here - I'm talking about patronising, rude advisers that don't care! I literally get anxious at the thought of having to call customer services.

Never had problems when I have phoned. But I have had issues with Sky a few years ago.

So, I've had Sky Q installed so I have the 14-day cooling off period to decide. This also gives me the advantage of comparing Sky and Virgin side-by-side...

Picture: Sky's broadcast picture quality is far superior to Virgin - much crisper and sharp! There's also 4K and HDR content in abundance!

I have Virgin alongside Freesat (uses the same satellites as Sky) & I don't see a lot of difference.

Virgin's UI is awful and a big deciding point for me. With Sky rolling out a new Q update as we speak, will Virgin UK ever upgrade to Horizon 4? Would this be on the existing V6 box?

The new UI is now being tested by the trial groups using the existing V6 boxes, which was designed with the new UI in mind.

I've also noticed sound quality on Sky being better than Virgin - again, sharper and crisper!

Againj can only compare with Freesat ( I have a decent box ) & I don't notice a lot of difference.

So. I feel torn! Stay with Virgin who offer great value (and touch wood, problem-free Internet, TV and phone), or go back to Sky with their modern UI and unrivalled choice?

Some channels are now choosing to give up on satellite distribution, so are no longer available on Sky but remain on Virgin. It depends what you want to watch.

Virgin would be perfect if customer service was improved and updated their UI. Please, someone - help me decide 🙂

What seals it for me as a multi-box household is that the boxes are totally seperate but can stream between eachother. If I went to SkyQ I would lose half the tuners & all the recordings would end up on one box. Depends what is important to you, picture quality or content.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Anonymous wrote:

Virgin would be perfect if customer service was improved......   🙂

Why do you need to contact VM's CS?  I have only ever done it to refresh my package every year or so and never had a problem with that.  Any technical help is best done on here and likely to be solved with a combination of expert users and VM staff on these fora.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Eeeps
Well-informed
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Interesting post for me because I'll be in a similar situation in the next month.

You don't mention what you are paying for Sky Q (including install) and how the channel mix compares with Ultimate on Virgin.
Did you opt for BT sports and a Sky mini?
Are you using VM broadband or have you switch to Sky?

I've been reading the Sky forums recently and and have seen quite a few negative comments on the new interface, the lack of HDR on some Q boxes and problems with the Q maintaining wireless connections.

I left Sky almost two years ago (on a standard HD box) because Sky would not give me a deal on Sky Q.
I've always found the V6 sound and picture quality far superior on HD content over the Sky HD box.
Which Sky Q hardware version did Sky give you?

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

From the screen shots I have seen the Horizon GUI is dreadful compared to the TiVo interface.

As far as I understand it requires a new box and doesn't work on the existing hardware that VM supply.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
ozsat
Community elder
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Anonymous wrote:

I've not found any difference in the level of support from either Sky or VirginMedia

Not something I've ever noticed. Some channels on VM are much better than Sky due to Sky's ever shrinking bandwidth.

I've think there are 6 series in HDR - hardly an abundance.

SkyQ's new UI is being slammed by the users. I don't have an issue with it but it is not better than the V6 - just different.

Again - no difference.

==================================
VIVID 600 (690/44mb) in Area 31
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to everyone for their replies, really useful in helping me decide. I do believe I will stay with Virgin!

As you know, the Ultimate Oomph bundle gives you everything - and for £99 -  I really can't (shouldn't) grumble.

Sky is £56 a month, which includes Netflix, UHD etc. but no sports and no unlimited landline calls. I'd also be paying BT for Fibre... so Virgin would offer better value and savings!

My poor customer experience comes from Virgin Mobile - too long to detail the really bad experiences with them, and for me, puts a negative on Virgin as a whole. However, I have to be honest and say I have found TV/fibre customer service much better!

Horizon 4's TV guide reminds me of Freeview/Freesat guide - but still an improvement over the current UI!

Eeeps
Well-informed
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks to everyone for their replies, really useful in helping me decide. I do believe I will stay with Virgin!

As you know, the Ultimate Oomph bundle gives you everything - and for £99 -  I really can't (shouldn't) grumble.

Sky is £56 a month, which includes Netflix, UHD etc. but no sports and no unlimited landline calls. I'd also be paying BT for Fibre... so Virgin would offer better value and savings!

My poor customer experience comes from Virgin Mobile - too long to detail the really bad experiences with them, and for me, puts a negative on Virgin as a whole. However, I have to be honest and say I have found TV/fibre customer service much better!

Horizon 4's TV guide reminds me of Freeview/Freesat guide - but still an improvement over the current UI!

Must admit that when I had a standalone VM mobile sim free I had billing problems (charging for premium text and call I had not made).
But with the sim included with Ultimate I haven't had a problem.

Back to the picture quality issue - do you know what version of Sky Q you have? Suggestion on the Sky forum is unless you specifically ask for a HDR capable box you may be given an earlier version.

Did you negotiate the price with Sky or is that just the going rate? If you add Sky & BT sports and broadband that sound like serious money.
What about multiroom and installation fees?

Sorry to ask so many questions - just interested.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Anonymous wrote:

This just goes to prove that just because a particular provider is excellent at one service, doesn't mean they're excellent at other services. Especially when you operate your own infrastructure for some services but not others.

0 Kudos