Menu
Highlighted
Wise owl
Message 11 of 33
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin's 4K UHD is a wash out and here we go again!

I've just read through this and would like to help. Can we go back to first principles? 

I'm assuming you have a 4k TV. Is that right? 

A 4k picture requires a very strong uninterrupted signal from VM's servers, through the Hub to the V6 box.

If you have a WiFi connection from the Hub to the TV then it suggests that the WiFi signal is not good enough.

If you have an ethernet connection from the Hub to the TV then it suggests there is a signal problem from VM into the Hub. 

What can you say to the above? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 12 of 33
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If the problem is with live channels on the EPG (i.e. BTSportUHD on Ch 531 and VM Ultra HD on Ch 999) then WiFi is not the issue as these are delivered via the coax connection to the V6 and do not go via the Hub.  This will likely need a tech to visit to get power levels fixed.

If, on the other hand, the problem is with Netflix or box to box streaming of a recorded programme, then it may well be a WiFi or other LAN issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 13 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Yes I do have a 4K UHD television.

The connection is ethernet direct to the V6 box then on to the TV using a cable supplied by VM - there's no involvement with the hub.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 14 of 33
Flag for a moderator

The connection is ethernet direct to the V6 box then on to the TV using a cable supplied by VM - there's no involvement with the hub. Those are the channels I'm having the problem with. How do I get an engineer visit?

When I've rung on 150 previously they put me through to somebody who just wants to talk about the wifi.

I did manage to get an engineer some time ago but he couldn't find anything wrong with the signal and just put a new connector onto the ethernet cable. That seemed to be ok at the time but the problems have all come back again.

It's infuriating - i'm paying for a service I can't use.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 15 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Just to clarify, by "ethernet" do you mean the cable that looks like this

CoaxCoax

or the one that looks like this:

EthernetEthernet

I'm guessing the first one since the tech changed the connector - this is the coax cable that carries the TV signal and will connect to a VM wall box.

The second picture is an ethernet cable which would run back to your hub.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 16 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Yes the first one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Wise owl
Message 17 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@JimboX wrote:

Yes the first one.

That's not ethernet. It's coax that feed the incoming broadband signal.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 18 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@jpeg1 wrote:

@JimboX wrote:

Yes the first one.

That's not ethernet. It's coax that feed the incoming broadband signal.

It also supplies the TV signal to the V6 (in addition to the DOCSIS broadband signal to the Hub).  The OP needs to raise a fault with VM so that his signal levels can be checked.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 19 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi, JimboX,

Thanks for reaching out to the Virgin Media forum.

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues watching 4K on your TV.

How was the reception since the last you posted? Are you still having the same issues?

Have you tried the recommendation given?

Since we will also need to check on your signal levels, we can do this via online chat.

Please click on the link to get in touch with one of our web chat representatives.

Please let us know. Thanks.

Mia_C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 20 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mia

When the engineer called, around end January I think, things seemed to improve but they've now reverted to as previously. He checked on signal strength and spoke to another engineer and didn't seem to think anything was wrong. He then decided the coax connector was dodgy, changed that and then left. No recommendation was given.

After a short while the problems have all started again: pixelation and freezing of picture, sound breaking up and generally poor and interrupted viewing.

Going on line shortly - hope it won't interrupt tonight's viewing of live programmes.

0 Kudos