Menu
BlueJolz
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Virgin not listening...

Two points that keep coming up so I'm sticking my gnarly oar in now...

1) I'm sick of having to put my PIN in for so-called "pre-watershed" films. I have no kids and want the choice to turn this OFF. Virgin said you can do this, but I would beg to differ. I followed their 'instructions' and it made no difference.

2) I want to set my V6 box to change channel at a certain time. I don't want to set to 'Record & Remind'. Why do I want a reminder to record if I want to watch the programme? If it's going to record, why do I need a reminder? I keep reading that this latter option is "progress", but I fail to see it.

These two issues are regular, main points raised by lots of Virgin customers but most annoyingly, Virgin just either gloss over them or say there are 'workarounds'. Well they don't work. Both issues are surely EASY to remedy with a firmware update.

Oh well... I'm sure I just wasted a few minutes of my life, but it was a slice of spleen vented, so every cloud and all that.

0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin not listening...

@BlueJolz wrote:

1) I'm sick of having to put my PIN in for so-called "pre-watershed" films. I have no kids and want the choice to turn this OFF. Virgin said you can do this, but I would beg to differ. I followed their 'instructions' and it made no difference.

I'm sure others will be along with a more detailed answer, but for the cinema channels this is an Ofcom requirement. For other channels, the parental control options are available.

@BlueJolz wrote:

2) I want to set my V6 box to change channel at a certain time. I don't want to set to 'Record & Remind'. Why do I want a reminder to record if I want to watch the programme? If it's going to record, why do I need a reminder? I keep reading that this latter option is "progress", but I fail to see it.

Point 2 has also been done to death numerous times before, but in brief.. the TiVo boxes don't reserve any tuners for live TV and can potentially schedule all 3 (TiVo) or 6 (V6) tuners for recording programs. If programs are scheduled to record on all tuners and your reminder pops up and asks for a spare tuner, what is the box to do?

I could elaborate further, but there's plenty of previous posts that cover it.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin not listening...

@BlueJolz wrote:

Three words: Mandatory Daytime Protection.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0022/112099/Review-of-the-mandatory-daytime-protecti...

The above forms part of Virgins operating licence, & is part of this country’s “nanny state” regulations. Live with them or emigrate.

This is built into the core TiVO firmware & allows for other facilities like recording on all tuners & suggestions/wishlists to be able to operate. 

These two issues are regular, main points raised by lots of Virgin customers but most annoyingly, Virgin just either gloss over them or say there are 'workarounds'. Well they don't work. Both issues are surely EASY to remedy with a firmware update.

Oh well... I'm sure I just wasted a few minutes of my life, but it was a slice of spleen vented, so every cloud and all that.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile