cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin equipment

karlsnr
Joining in

Hi there we have for many years the old Tivo box. Can I check if we are due a new replacement?

7 REPLIES 7

karlsnr
Joining in

Hi we have the old Tivo box for many years. Can I check if we are due a free upgrade?

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Karisnr, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on the community. 

Have you spoken to our customer care team to run through some package options and what upgrades are available?

Nat

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are two paths you could take here, both will depend on your having VM broadband.

If you have a diagnosed fault with your TiVo, it will be replaced with a V6 as a matter of course. Runs the same software but on a much newer and more capable box, with more recording tuners & streaming apps.

You could choose to convert to the newest software platform, TV360 - this uses the same hardware as the V6 but is very different and is fundamentallly not TiVo. VM actively encourage migrations to this, and will readily sell you an "upgrade" to this platform, which is similar to TiVo in the same way that Apple is similar to Android.

Opinions vary wildly on TV360 - some love it, some hate it - but a choice to convert is a) just that - a choice, but importantly, b) irreversible.

So do your research first, and decide whether you want to convert - because if you're not prepared and you call up, VM will sell you TV360 without batting an eyelid.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks japitts for your info. It was for my elderly parents but on reading your reply I think we will remain with the equipment that we already have installed. Many thanks

Thanks for your reply. We will remain with the equipment that we have already as with research I cannot see a real benefit with upgrades.Thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

V6 is a clear upgrade on a TiVo.

It is a much quicker box, has more streaming apps and 6 recording tuners rather than 3.

TV360 is indeed debatable, but consider that the TiVo was first launched approximately 13 years ago and is now a very slow box by current standards. The V6 was launched in 2016, and the hardware is still being issued now.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Note that VM will not keep paying licence fees to TiVo forever, so within a few years I expect that there will be a forced migration to the 360.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection