Menu
Falnuii
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin V6 box welcome screen loop

My V6 box powered up and looked like it was downloading something (arrow pointing down to a box).  Then moved onto the "Welcome" screen.  After staying on welcome screen for a little bit (maybe 1-2 mins) it displays "No signal".  Then the welcome screen comes up again.  The light on the front of the box has both red and white displayed together - so looks like a kind of Orange...

I have left it like this for about 3 hours (in case it was downloading) - but no change.

I have noticed the box is making a sound (a bit like a quiet version of the old dial up modem connection sound).

I have turned off the box - waited 30 secs turned it on again.  I have removed all cables from the back of the box and left it for 5 mins before plugging back in and switching on again.  I have switched HDMI ports in the tv (from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2).  I have ensured after removing the cables - all cables are plugged in tightly (including the cable to the wall).

The research I have done so far all points to a bricked box.  So I called 150 went through a load of menus and an automated system that ran some tests and all was ok - so I stayed on to speak to a human.  However due to Covid the out of hours call centre I normally get to when I have problems at this time is shut.

so do people have advice (or any way to) - bypass the phone call and order a replacement box directly with a self install? (I am trying to get this resolved ASAP as we have an autistic daughter who relies on routine part of which is specific tv programmes she watches at specific times - I am already laying plans out to deal with no tv for today(Sunday), Monday and Tuesday - but if I cant speak to someone in support/it takes ages for a delivery to be organised I need to try and plan further out).

Thanks for any help in advance

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin V6 box welcome screen loop

@Falnuii wrote:

My V6 box powered up and looked like it was downloading something (arrow pointing down to a box).  Then moved onto the "Welcome" screen.  After staying on welcome screen for a little bit (maybe 1-2 mins) it displays "No signal".  Then the welcome screen comes up again.  The light on the front of the box has both red and white displayed together - so looks like a kind of Orange...

I have left it like this for about 3 hours (in case it was downloading) - but no change.

I have noticed the box is making a sound (a bit like a quiet version of the old dial up modem connection sound).

Your diagnosis is almost certainly correct, that your box has a fault.

@Falnuii wrote:

so do people have advice (or any way to) - bypass the phone call and order a replacement box directly with a self install? (I am trying to get this resolved ASAP as we have an autistic daughter who relies on routine part of which is specific tv programmes she watches at specific times - I am already laying plans out to deal with no tv for today(Sunday), Monday and Tuesday - but if I cant speak to someone in support/it takes ages for a delivery to be organised I need to try and plan further out).

Ordinarily, the quickest way to resolve this would be to call VM faults and have the necessary repacement arranged, and that may yet be the quickest. Given the circumstances with your daughter, I have escalated this post to VM forum staff to pick this thread up quicker than would otherwise happen, in-case you're not able to do this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Falnuii
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thank you - I am trying to get through on phone again (I have had to hang up a couple times to help my daughter).

0 Kudos
Falnuii
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

update:

I finally spoke to someone.  They ran some tests and said it was a "Broadcast issue" and couldn't send out a new box - but needed to send out an engineer.

After asking how that would work given the lockdown and no households mixing - it was agreed for an engineer to phone back in 4-5 hours...

(I hope that the engineer will have authority to send a new box)

0 Kudos
Natalie_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Falnuii, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for getting in touch. 

We are very sorry to hear of the issues you have been experiencing with your V6 Box.

With the  current situation, we appreciate that some of our customers are reluctant to have people visit their homes so we now offer virtual technical appointments within a 4 hour window. 

Please do let us know how the appointment goes and we will be happy to assist further if required. 

Thanks

Nat
0 Kudos
Falnuii
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Natalie,

Thank you for your response - unfortunately the engineer has not called - so today has been what I would consider a wasted day.  This is why I was hoping to bypass the phone routine and go straight to a new box (especially if these kind of symptoms have been recorded on multiple occasions to need a new box).

Luckily I had a few DVDs that my daughter accepted for changes to her routine - however I cant guarantee this will continue to work... (Personally I dont mind being without TV - however I am trying to push this resolution ASAP for my daughter and her mental health)

Anything you can do to push this along I will be appreciated.  

0 Kudos
Falnuii
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

update:

Just had a call from an engineer - told him "I have problem with V6 box - looping reboot welcome screen to turn off and has an orange light" - he said "no worries Ill send out a new box, be with you tomorrow".

So that call was less than 2 mins...

So happy that a box will be sent out -  still not sure why my call of over 1.5hrs couldn't have had this outcome - which would have saved a day potentially (maybe support centre staff don't have permission to send out a box?) .

will update when box arrives and is set up

0 Kudos
Falnuii
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

update:

Box arrived this afternoon and has now been set up and is working.

(The only additional step I had to do from the instructions is pair/sync my current remote with the new box)

0 Kudos