cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin TIVO v6 Box with Community Fibre Broadband

GooniesWorld
On our wavelength

I have had a bit of a nightmare with Virgin Broadband and the service regularly dipping on me for about a year and a half now, if not longer. I had all of the cabling into my apartment replaced which has helped but the connection is still not stable.

I am tied into a Virgin Media contract until Feb 2022 for Phone, Broadband and TV.

As my internet has been terrible and I need to work from home I signed up to a Black Friday deal with Community Fibre broadband with a view to removing the phone and broadband elements from my package in Jan/Feb.

Community Fibre has been great so far with no dips.

The problem I have is that my v6 TIVO box seems to need a Virgin internet connection. I have connected the v6 Tivo box up via both Wifi and also tried an ethernet connection to my Community Fibre router but the TIVO box will not play ball. I am able to watch TV fine but if I try and access any of the on demand services I can not do so. I have restarted the box a number of times and gone through the network settings on the Tivo box. The box can detect an internet connection but the box but does not seem to want to allow the on demand services.

This is not an immediate problem as I have around a month or so left of my Virgin contract but I had hoped to keep a TV package without their internet service.

Does anyone know a way around this? If I am not able to solve this problem I will have to look to terminate my contract with Virgin entirely when my contract is up, rather than keeping the TV element.

Thank you in advance.

8 REPLIES 8

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @GooniesWorld 

Both the V6 and the 360 boxes will only work with broadband from VM.

VM do have an older box, the original TIVO, which has it's own internet connection.

You might  be able to downgrade to the TIVO box but I couldn't say for certain, plus it might tie you into a new contract.

You would need to speak to Retentions (thinking of leaving us) to see what they say, or give them your cancellation request.

The most you would have to pay in Early termination Fees is £240.

You can work out any fees <<< here >>> 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi

Thank you for responding.

I don't mind signing up to a new contract (if they can get me a box that does not need a Virgin Media internet connection) as I have always been happy with the TV service; it's just their broadband that has been an issue.

You spoke about an early termination fee but that should not apply to me, even if I was to leave them as my contract is up in Feb.

I will keep an eye out in the hope that a member of the Virgin Media team respond to my post with a definitive answer. If not I will reach out to the retention team.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Be aware that if you do change from a V6 to a TiVo, you will notice substantial performance reductions.

The V6 is a far superior box, no question.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

🤦‍♂️ I wish they'd just let me use a different internet provider with my v6 box. This just seems like an annoying way to keep customers locked in. 

If I don't get anything official from anyone on here I will reach out to the retention team.

I remember having a lot of issues with the old standard box. It was super slow and would crash a lot. Hopefully there is another option or they will potentially risk losing me as a customer completely.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@GooniesWorld wrote:

I remember having a lot of issues with the old standard box. It was super slow and would crash a lot. Hopefully there is another option or they will potentially risk losing me as a customer completely.

I hate to say it, but prepare to choose between 2 options;

1: Keep your account running as-is, and try to resolve your broadband issues.

2: Disconnect the broadband, likely with early-termination penalties and loss of bundle discount potentially increasing your TV price. And hand the V6 in to swap for a TiVo.

I don't see any other way around this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I have already got another supplier up and running for broadband (4 months free). Needed something stable for work.

I shouldn't have any early end fees as my contract is up in Feb so I'll just hand my months notice in Jan if they can't do anything for me.

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @GooniesWorld,

Thank you for making this post regarding connecting a V6 box to Community Fibre Broadband. Just to confirm, unfortunately the V6 box can only be connected to Virgin Media WiFi. You will not be able to connect your V6 box using Community Fibre Broadband. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,

Serena

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Apologies for the double post! Just to confirm, the TiVo boxes can connect to any provider. If you would like to downgrade to a TiVo box, please give our team a call on 150 / 0345 454 1111.

Best wishes,

Serena