Menu
mcr007
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media fobbing me off

Currently I have VM broadband (1gig) and TV (tivo box)

I was frequently moving my box between my bedroom and living room due to spending much time in bed at the moment (health issues). I decided I had had enough of that and just decided to add a second box (V6 for the living room, leaving my tivo in the bedroom). Sounds simple?

Had major issues getting VM to send me a new box (the booked an installation then cancelled), in the end retention arranged a self install. The box arrived on thursday and upon plugging it all in, it failed to work due to been unable to find my account details. After a day this message has gone but the box is now suck in a loop (welcome, starting up, some kind of firmware update, reboot, repeat). The light is orange (flashing/pulsing). It's been like this for a few days.

VM support have been useless, having spend oiver 8 hours in the queue listing to the same crappy music for hours, only to be fobbed off between departments. The last call I had they said my issue was an area fault and would not be fixed until some time in march (6th I think). This is complete fob off as my tivo works fine in both cable points in my house.

They did offer an engineer call out but I had to decline (I am currently having to self isolate for at least 8 more days due to NHS covid app exposure notification. VM will not send me a new V6 box until the issue is fixed in March 6th, they have offered me no compensation, and are still charging the activation fee and increased sub for my 'second box'..

I don't believe there is any issue I just think this new V6 is faulty ... but I got no where trying to get that resolved.

Having had enough I have tried to cancel all my services so I can go to Sky, but I am still in contract from my broadband upgrade and they are demanding £180 early termination fee.

I asked for a complaint to be raised but I don't believe this was done.

I am at a loss as to how to proceed, short of refusing to pay the bill. I am thinking of cancelling the direct debit and paying the old amount manually for the services I am receiving. 😞

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Hero
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media fobbing me off

The V6, unlike the TiVo, must be connected to the hub. So, after the coaxial cable to the hub is split with one leg for the hub and the other leg for the V6, an Ethernet cable is used to connect the V6 to the hub.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@mcr007 wrote:

and just decided to add a second box (V6 for the living room, leaving my tivo in the bedroom). Sounds simple?

Is there an existing co-ax connection point in the room you want the additional box? If you do, then self-install Quick Start should work.

@mcr007 wrote:

VM will not send me a new V6 box until the issue is fixed in March 6th, 

I'm sure this is sucking eggs, but you've not said, so... was the V6 serial number cross-checked? I would still expect to to boot up and then give maybe a 7400 error, but all the same.

@mcr007 wrote:

I am thinking of cancelling the direct debit and paying the old amount manually for the services I am receiving. 

However tempting it is, don't go there. It will make things worse, unless you want to risk long-lasting entries on your credit file.

I'll escalate this thread to VM Forum staff to have a second look at. I can't guarantee how long this will take (especially given it's the weekend), but it should hopefully expedite some assistance for you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Mcr007.

We can see you were previously advised regarding the fault in the area under the below information:

Reference: F008581814   

Estimated repair time: 04 MAR 2021 10:00

We would advise it may be an issue with the Tivo box receiving the services if it's over WiFi due to this fault, if able to we'd advise using a wired connection to the Hub so it can update correctly this can hopefully be a fix for this in the meantime. If still having issues following this and once the area fault is fixed we'd then send an engineer to the property.

If a full loss of service the account would be credited through the Ofcom Compensation Scheme following the fix. 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
mcr007
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

The box does not boot far enough to get into any menus where anything can be configured. I was using wired ethernet to my vm superhub 4.

I do not wish to wait till march to receive a service I am paying for now.

If this bix cannot be replaced/made to work then I would like to leave VM and sign up with Sky instead. 

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

As advised we run the Ofcom automatic compensation scheme, if you'd prefer to cancel you can call 150/0345 454 1111 options 1, 4 then 4. Any early termination fees would stand.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
Tonybbb
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

hi mate that's a typical response from VM "like it or lump it we don't care as we have you by the short and curly,s so we will get our money out of you one way or another"  they have no morals at all  i really don't know how these people can sleep and night the way they treat there customers 

0 Kudos
mcr007
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Why would early termination fees apply if vm are not providing the services they are charging for?

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

We are working on a fix for the fault at hand and have offered the estimated repair time. 

As you can read in the terms and conditions we do not offer a fault free service but will work to get things up and running as soon as possible for you.

Due to this yes, they would stand. 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
pcg33kuk
Joining in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Or you can get a deadlock letter and take it to the Ombudsman and get them to make a decision.

https://www.cedr.com/consumer/cisas/ 

It might also be worth talking to Citizens Advice as well and see if anything can be done.

Just dont cancel your Direct Debit,.

0 Kudos