Menu
drbrunel
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Multi room and cabling

Hi there, 

So are about to move into a beautiful new house that we have just bought that has just been refurbished and has an existing virgin set up....

I would like to go for a multi room set up to create a cinema room but its on the other side of the house compared to where the existing virgin box is

I have a  couple of questions

1) Does the second box need to be physically connected to the first box via a coaxial

2) if the answer to the above is no, Can the engineer run the additional coax cable around the exterior of the house from the main entry point into the house?

Basically, as the house has just been refurbed I want to avoid any sort of visible cable. If the cable needs to run on the interior of the house, something like chasing the cable through the wall is too much hassle as the second box is quite far away so is not an option. Running the cable on the outside is a potential compromise but if i cant get the installation I want without somehow hiding the wiring I will revert to Sky...

I think Virgin needs to up its game in terms of connectivity as surely hardwire connections are becoming a thing of the past?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Multi room and cabling

1) Does the second box need to be physically connected to the first box via a coaxial
Yes it has to have a coax cable

2) if the answer to the above is no, Can the engineer run the additional coax cable around the exterior of the house from the main entry point into the house?
normally its insatlled on the outside and drilled in.

Wireless is not the furture wired will always be the better option. the more wireless devices people use the worse wireless gets its not like a wired connection that can be spilt onto different networks. Wireless is a limited recource
0 Kudos
drbrunel
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but RE the first question 1...Does the coaxial connection need to be actually made the first box...Ie they are in series?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

echo box needs it down coax cable. the engineer will split the cable you have and run it to the new box
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@drbrunel wrote:

Thanks but RE the first question 1...Does the coaxial connection need to be actually made the first box...Ie they are in series?

Virgin uses linear TV channels the same as Freeview & Satellite. The coax connects to the coax network instead of to an aerial or dish, but uses the same broadcast technology.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You can have the coaxial cable split outside, one leg run around to the side for the cinema room, the other in the front room. There will be two splitters. Here's what it might look like.

| --- hub
                 | --- to cinema --- splitter ---| --- V6
|--- splitter ---| --- V6

In the cinema room the V6 can obviously be connected to the hub with an Ethernet cable, as for the second V6 another Ethernet cable is best and you should be able to run that cable externally from the hub to the front.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
drbrunel
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all.....

Sounds doable but still sounds like a lot of cable.....Wish Virgin had a set similar to Sky in terms of connectivity

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

At the risk of stating the obvious, Virgin is a cable-TV/broadband operator. Sky isn't.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
drbrunel
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Very True however the ergonomics of a set up are now quite a big consideration for people nowadays. I personally won't go for a Virgin set up if it means for lots of wires on display
0 Kudos