Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

View my PC on my TV

I have Windows 10, new VM box 6, TV which is not smart.

I have connected my DeskTop to TV via HDMI. I see the PC image on the TV but the PC has no controls ie no way of telling it to do anything.  I feel this should be easy but it beats me can anyone help?  Thanks. 

If it is relevant reason is I want to be able to see Curzon movies on the TV after that app goes at end of July.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: View my PC on my TV

what are you trying to do. you need a keyboard and mouse on the PC to use it. the TV is nothing more then a monitor

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, yes my PC is fine but when I connect it to TV via HDMI then I am unable to do anything on the PC, I can't access Display / Settings or anything else.  I see the PC screen monitored on the TV but I have no control over the PC.   Thanks for your help.   Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

To confirm, do you mean that you are using the keyboard and mouse connected to the PC to try and do things but it's not working? Or if not, how are you trying to control the PC?

One thing, are you using the PC monitor (or the internal screen if it's a laptop) and the TV at the same time and if so how are the two screens set up in display settings? Are they mirrored so that both display the same thing or are they set up as an extended desktop, if they are extended, you may just need to move the mouse cursor off of the side of the main PC screen and onto the TV screen (which side this is will depend on how the screens are setup in display settings).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tavis, yes they are both on at the same time but when connected to TV (HDMI) the desktop screen shows the task bar but nothing else and no mouse and that screen is mirrored on the TV. I am not able to access the Display Settings. I am obviously doing something wrong or perhaps what I want to do isn't possible.   Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@RedbridgeMike wrote:

Thanks Tavis, yes they are both on at the same time but when connected to TV (HDMI) the desktop screen shows the task bar but nothing else and no mouse and that screen is mirrored on the TV. I am not able to access the Display Settings. I am obviously doing something wrong or perhaps what I want to do isn't possible.   Mike

What you want to do is entirely possible, because I do it!

As noted above there are two ways of setting up the displays: either as an extended desktop where the second screen (TV) shows a desktop that is effectively alongside the PC screen and so moving the mouse to the side would move the pointer off the PC screen on to the TV; or secondly, when it's a direct mirror and both the PC monitor and TV show exactly the same thing at the same time.

I have mine setup to be extended, so I drag video windows etc. off the desktop monitor onto the TV display.

However, if I understand your post, it sounds like as soon as you put the HDMI into the PC & TV that the "mirror" happens but both displays (PC and TV) lose all desktop icons, etc. and the mouse no longer works!?

Is it perhaps a resolution settings issue and the mouse pointer & icons are stranded off-screen?

Assuming that as you say you have a taskbar showing, before connecting the TV have you tried opening the Display Settings panel and moving it right down by the Start button so that if the taskbar remains showing after the TV's connected then the Display Settings window (and mouse pointer) would surely have to be visible too?

Also, I assume your PC's graphics card must have two outputs (HDMI that you're putting into the TV and either another HDMI, or probably Display Port, that is what the usual monitor connects to?)  If so then there must be a settings app specific to your graphics card that can be adjusted - try opening that and seeing if there are any output settings that can be adjusted for the separate ports (HDMI/Display/VGA/etc.) and also if in that app you can set the two displays to be extended or mirrored.

Keith

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Very many thanks Keith for a very helpful answer.  Gave me confidence, you are spot on, the cursor was indeed hiding and this time TV had the image and PC didn't.  Bringing TV into same room as PC mouse stopped the "Golden Shot" antics.  Opening the graphics card as you suggested was the other half of the problem. On then into standard Display and then Sound settings to make my TV the mirror of PC.  Thanks again.  Mike

0 Kudos