Menu
PBodge25
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Very Noisy V6 Box

Just upgraded to a V6, it’s really noisy all the time, even on standby. Fan seems to be running flat out. Very annoying when TV off as it’s all we can hear. Have to turn up the TV when on to drown out the box. Doesn’t seem to be vibration from shelf or anything else as it’s still as noisy when I hold it. Don’t think the fan should be flat out all the time. Have put mouse mat under it but no difference. Virgin not keen to give me another one. Can anyone suggest anything else? Thanks 

0 Kudos
dante01
Rising star
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very Noisy V6 Box

The V6 box doesn't include a coooling fan. The noise could be eminating from its integral hard drive? I keep my V6 in a closed cabinet so cannot say I notice how noisy it is, but any device with a hard drive will make some noise in association with the drive spinning. Even if I open the cabinet up, all I can hear is a hum from the box and this is only if I hold my head up close to it.  If the noise you are experiencing is excessiove though then this could be a sign of imminent drive failure or an indication that the drive mechanism isn't adequately secured to the chassis of the STB? If the noise is inordinately loud or excessive noisy then you need to have Virgin send someone out to have a look at it.

If the box is excessively noisey then this is abnormal in my opinion and theefore a fault with the box. Virgin Media are obligated to deal with it.

You may also be interested to know that there's an existing thread on this topic here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Noisy-V6-box/td-p/3303397

LittleMick73
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi it's definitely a faulty box virgin should send an engineer to replace the box, phone and go down the Tv faults route (don't ask for a self install) it's a fault so an engineer should be sent it's a free visit as the box is faulty.Regards Micky
Forum Team (Retired) Louise_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi PBodge25,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting.

I'm really sorry to hear that your V6 box seems really noisy. 

I cant say that I notice the noise on my own at home. Have you called in to the team to report this?

I have been unable to locate your account to be able to check the box from here but if you want me to take a look I will need to confirm some information with you.

I have sent you a private message. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.
Speak soon,

Louise

Forum Team

New around here? Find out more about the Community by checking our "Getting started guide"