Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Version 20.9.1.rc2 roll out time

Does anyone have any idea as to how long it will take for Version 20.9.1.rc2 to be sent to all V6 boxes. I would like the video output to be able to switch automatically which i think this version allows.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Re: Version 20.9.1.rc2 roll out time

I think firmware updates are done in areas - some receive it before others (I only received it this past weekend, in the South Croydon area).

Not sure if there is a rollout schedule as such but perhaps a SuperUser might be able to confirm....

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I'm in Area 25 which for me is Swansea, I've just checked and the update hasn't happened yet, I will keep an eye on it and report back when we have it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 38
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've had this update for several weeks. It's possible that VM is slowly rolling it out in case it goes wrong and call centres get inundated with calls. And call centre agents know nothing about video resolutions.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 38
Flag for a moderator

The 20.9.1. software update was installed overnight in Swansea Area 25 where I live, the V6 Box now can distinguish what setting is needed, I've set my box to 2160p, 2160p (pass through) and 1080p, I've done a quick test and everything seems to be working fine and the box switches to preferred option depending on the Channel received. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 38
Flag for a moderator

@TobyTyler77 wrote:

The 20.9.1. software update was installed overnight in Swansea Area 25 where I live, the V6 Box now can distinguish what setting is needed, I've set my box to 2160p, 2160p (pass through) and 1080p, I've done a quick test and everything seems to be working fine and the box switches to preferred option depending on the Channel received. 

Unless I’ve misunderstood, the settings you have chosen cause V6 to do all the upscaling.

The benefit of the changes made in this release allow you to get your TV to do the upscaling if you believe it does a better job.

Your settings work the same in this release as they did in the last one.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 7 of 38
Flag for a moderator

The settings didn't work prior to the new update. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 38
Flag for a moderator

@Ernie_C wrote:

@TobyTyler77 wrote:

Unless I’ve misunderstood, the settings you have chosen cause V6 to do all the upscaling.

The benefit of the changes made in this release allow you to get your TV to do the upscaling if you believe it does a better job.

Your settings work the same in this release as they did in the last one.

.....perhaps I’ve misunderstood (feel free to correct) but from how I understand it, selecting 2160, 1080 and 720, allows the V6 to broadcast channels at their native resolution and the TV then upscales to 2160. 

However, if you want the V6 to upscale, you would then select JUST the 2160 option and all content then gets upscaled to 2160 by the V6. 

This is how I understood this first post here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/4K-Upscaling-V6-or-tv-it-s-your-choice/td-p/401436...

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 38
Flag for a moderator

That is certainly my understanding, @deans6571 , but not that of @TobyTyler77 .

Unfortunately, I don’t have the new release yet so can’t confirm myself.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 10 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry I'm not an expert, before this new update I had to leave my V6 settings on 1080p if I tried the higher setting my Samsung 4K UHD TV would flash a blank screen every few seconds, now the new update has solved this, there is still a momentarily blank screen when the settings change but it's not like it was prior, so now for the 1st time I'm able to watch the UHD Broadcasts without the screen blanking every few seconds, my TV IS 18 Months old and cost £1400 but only now can I benefit from it, I'm no expert as I've said so I hope you can make sense of this.

0 Kudos