Menu
BM11
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Varying picture quality.

Does anyone else require having to reset their box every few days as picture quality slowly declines without it. It's what I have to do to boost quality and stop the flicking which increases without it. Some SD channels become unwatchable after a few days due to the quality aswell.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Varying picture quality.

No, and there's nothing about the way TV pictures are processed that should decline or degrade with the box being left on for any period of time.

However... are you perhaps experiencing pixellation/picture breakup? And the symptoms disappear with a reboot before reappearing? If so... then you likely have a signal fault which is not going to resolve itself without being properly attended to.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BM11
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have suspected a signal fault as well. Last year before Covid hit the internal wiring was replaced and the V6 replaced a Tivo which significantly improved things but didn't entirely clear things. Now Covid is easing I might phone up and start pushing to be added to the waiting list for external cables to be replaced which is needed I suspect.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

A signal fault would manifest itself as picture breakup, which is a different thing to picture "quality".

And I'll probably regret saying this, but Covid restrictions are only preventing internal non-fault visits. External cabling and internal fault-fixes, circumstances-dependent of course, have always been fine.

You can't just ask for cabling to be replaced, you can report a fault and allow VM to make the necessary investigations. Which may or may not lead to cabling replacements.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
BM11
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It certainly feels like picture quality is affected as well. Some SD Channels are quite blurry and look noticably worse than a few years ago. Luckily the V6 has the room to record lots in HD so I only need to use SD when HD is not available.

0 Kudos
Natalie_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello BM11

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community. 

I am sorry to hear of the problems you have been experiencing with the TV service. 

I would like to take a closer look at things from our side so I am going to pop you over a private message now. This message will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat
0 Kudos
joebloggs
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Within the last 2 years there has been compression changes from going from MPEG2 to MPEG4 on SD channels and unfortunately with a lot of these changes some channels did get hit by quality drops 😕

Some channels have had the quality upped but a lot still look TERRIBLE compared to the Sky signal

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The MPEG2 > MPEG4 change does not, of itself, cause quality drops.

As for comparing Sky bitrates with Virgin's, in some cases Virgin actually uses higher-rate streams than Sky.

There are lots of subtle tweaks to the encoding that are a work-in-progress, but to draw blanket conclusions from those, is inaccurate.

0 Kudos